2023 Graduate - Radar Engineering/Analyst/Computer Scientist/Physics
Are you interested in applied R&D? Do you enjoy working in a creative environment, as part of a diverse team of engineers, physicists, and computer scientists?
Do you want to play a critical role in the defense of our country - at sea and at home - from advanced missile threats?
We are seeking highly motivated B.S. or M.S. graduates in Electrical Engineering (EE), Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), Computer Science (CS), Physics, Math or a similar technical degree.
We are particularly interested in self-guided, creative problem-solvers who can develop into future technical leaders for our US Navy and DoD sponsors.
As a member of our team, you will...
- Participate in live radar testing and analyze recorded data to gain insights into system performance, particularly with regard to environmental effects/physics.
- Develop and apply detailed, physics-based simulations written in Java, C/C++, MATLAB, and Python.
- Learn and creatively apply machine learning, signal processing, and data science to real-world problems that no one else has previously solved.
- Learn, apply skills, and advance the state of the art in our core technology areas of: signal processing, electromagnetics, software development, and boundary-layer meteorology.
- Develop skills to lead technical teams toward a common goal.
- Directly communicate your results to sponsors and contractors to guide the direction of DoD programs toward technical success.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Bachelor's degree in EE, ECE, CS, Physics, or a similar technical field, with a GPA above 3.3.
- Are familiar with Python, MATLAB, or equivalent, or have had some exposure to modern development process (git, GitLab, Jira, or equivalent).
- Have a strong understanding of, and interest in, machine learning, signal processing, and/or electromagnetic theory.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APLAPLs established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a M.S. or multiple technical degrees, including minors, in EE, ECE, CS, Physics or a similar technical field.
- Have any RF research experience (hardware, antennas, remote sensing, tracking, etc.)
- Have internship experience related to DoD research, DoD contractors, or the advanced-technology industry.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APLAPLrings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.eduedureers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.