Public Engagement Manager (Scientific ethics and policy)
Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research (PRIM&R) is an international 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Boston’s historic Back Bay whose mission is to advance the highest ethical standards in the conduct of biomedical, behavioral, and social science research. Since 1974, PRIM&R has served as the primary professional home and trusted thought leader for the human and animal research oversight communities. Through educational programming, membership services, professional certification, public policy initiatives, and community building, PRIM&R seeks to ensure that everyone involved in research understands the central importance of ethics in the advancement of science. This includes working to address systemic racism and other forms of structural injustice as they impact the research enterprise. PRIM&R is committed to advancing justice, equity, and inclusion among our staff, membership, leadership, and the wider research community. Visit primr.org for more information.
Position Summary: The Public Engagement Manager is a communications function with some content creation responsibility. This position will engage the public to create a positive impact on the understanding of and trust in science and research. This individual will be a skilled communicator responsible for the advancement of PRIM&R’s relationships with the broader public across media channels, for creating public-engaged content, and for leading programs to educate research professionals in best public communication practices.
Working closely with all departments the Public Engagement Manager will identify new audiences and foster strategic partnerships to increase reach to the public and promote trust in research.
What you’ll do:
· Work collaboratively with PRIM&R program staff to increase public engagement through print, digital and broadcast media as well as content creator landscapes
· Serve as primary contact person for press and media requests. Develop relationships with relevant members of the press, maintain understanding of industry trends, compile and maintain press lists, and effectively pitch media
· Survey academic literature, general media, and other sources for news, trends, analysis, and content in the areas of research ethics, science communication, and promoting trust in science and research
· Create and maintain strong relationships with like-minded organizations throughout the industry
· Collaborate with internal/external partners to create educational resources for a variety of audiences
· Provide written and editorial support for PRIM&R’s publications
· Communicate directly with audiences through social media channels
· Content creator for various digital marketing communications platforms
What we’re looking for:
· Experience in science communication and engagement, working both as or with scientists and experience working with the public; an ability to adjust messaging across multiple contexts and audiences
· Outstanding communication skills, including interpersonal, written, verbal, presentation and listening capabilities
· Ability to work well with external stakeholders and collaborators, and manage those relationships
· Strong project management and organizational skills
· An understanding of current and future trends in science communications, both broadly and in the research ethics context; ability to research and synthesize new findings, developments, and emerging best practices in science communication and building trust in research
· Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with other departments and staff, with contractors, and with constituent groups and partners outside the organization
· Ability to effectively manage personnel, projects, and competing deadlines
· Internal: Reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications to expand collaborations and increase audience reach. Works with Program teams to amplify new educational offerings for audiences and for the public. Works with Public Policy team to stay abreast of regulatory and governmental news, and to share PRIM&R’s public policy work through a public engagement lens.
· External: Engages with external organizations to foster partnerships. Works frequently with press and other media entities. Works with various subject-matter experts and board members to aggregate and leverage knowledge and expertise.
Salary & Benefits: The salary range for this position is $65,000-$75,000. PRIM&R offers a full benefits package including medical, dental, 401k, generous paid time off, flexible work schedule, summer hours, commuter and home office equipment support, and professional development support. While PRIM&R offers a hybrid work environment, this position requires dedicated time in the Boston office, frequency to be determined.
Travel: All PRIM&R staff are required to travel to the Annual Conference and to the office, on a schedule to be determined.
To apply: Please send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements. No phone calls, please. PRIM&R is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all candidates without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. PRIM&R is committed to providing reasonable accommodation. Individuals from under-represented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.