Creative Design Intern
Japan Society's Media & Marketing department seeks applicants for our Spring 2023 internship. Focusing primarily on aiding the creative & design team, responsibilities will include handling and organizing creative assets, aiding in the creation of marketing tools and developing ideas to further promote Japan Society's mission and programming. The internship will provide an excellent opportunity to experience the creation and design of various marketing materials at an internationally-recognized nonprofit cultural organization with a distinguished 115-year history.
Note: Japan Society's internship program gives interns the opportunity to choose whether to work in our office in a hybrid capacity, or on an offsite fully remote basis.
- Handling and organizing a variety of digital assets (video, photo, text, etc.)
- Basic editing and adjustments to assets for use in marketing materials
- Brainstorming and conceptualizing for print, digital and video materials used in promotion of Japan Society and its programming
- Help maintain digital asset management system and project management systems for the department
- Provide creative input into marketing materials used on social media and across departments for fundraising
- Provide general help across the department where needed, including volunteer opportunities at events and functions
Applicants should be very familiar with the Adobe Creative Suite, largely focused on Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere and After Effects. Familiarity with photography and video equipment is a plus. Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office programs. Excellent organization and communication skills. Knowledge of project management software, slack, zoom and other communication tools is a plus. General familiarity with social media and current trends. Resourceful and creative thinker. Interest and knowledge of Japanese culture.
Internship Dates and Time Commitment:
- Spring Semester 2022 (January – May) with the option to extend to the Summer
- 16-20 hours (2-2.5 days) per week
- Gain first-hand experience in non-profit marketing and design
- Advance knowledge in a variety of Adobe applications and mediums
- Creative thinking and problem solving on variety of projects at major cultural institution
- Project management skill development
- General experience working in office environment at a non-profit institution
- Earn academic credit (if approved by your college/university)
- Receive a recommendation letter from the supervising team member (upon request after successful completion of internship)
While internships are unpaid, Japan Society values its interns and provides the following benefits:
- Free or reduced-priced admission to Japan Society programs;
- Free admission for intern and guest to New York City museums;
- Invitations to exhibition openings and other Japan Society events;
- In-service training program for interns.
Japan Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and welcomes a diverse workforce.