Water Meter Reader I
The Portland Water Bureau is seeking a Water Meter Reader I
About the Division
The Portland Water Bureau (PWB) has over 192,000 customers and the Customer Service (CS) group is responsible for those customers' meters to cash. The meter reading department is part of the Customer Service Field Group. It’s comprised of 12 water meter readers and 1 water meter reader lead. Collecting the water meter reading is the first step in the meters to cash process.
About the Position
Water Meter Readers I are responsible for accurately reading residential and commercial water meters and recording the volume of water consumption utilizing handheld computerized meter-reading devices. Generally, Water Meter Readers I are assigned routes, which may involve walking up to ten (10) miles per day, including up and down hills and in areas without sidewalks, opening and closing ground level meter boxes, opening vault doors, lifting and pulling manhole covers that weigh up to 100 pounds, and climbing into and out of underground vaults to read meters. Water Meter Readers I have frequent customer contact answering questions about water consumption, billing practices and rates, and general Water Bureau and City issues. Work is performed independently outside in all weather conditions and is reviewed for accuracy and compliance with Water Bureau policies and standards. Possession of a high school diploma or GED is preferred, but not required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reads water meters for residential, commercial, and industrial customers; accesses meters in the field, including those in confined spaces; enters and records data.
- Calculates usage and analyzes past usage history to determine changes or problems related to consumption, maintenance, or meter reading.
- Creates work requests for maintenance and repair of meters as appropriate
- Provides information and explanation for billing as appropriate.
- Responds to inquiries from customers and the public as a representative of the City; suggest appropriate referral of a wide variety of issues.
- Performs routine maintenance on meter boxes, such as cleaning boxes and dials, replacing rings, and cutting grass around the meter box.