Integrated Math Teacher, Upper Division (Grades 8-12)
Math teachers at Avenues ensure that students act as mathematicians every day. In grades 8-12, Avenues embraces a problem-based mathematics pedagogy and curriculum. Math is learned through student-centered discussion in which students share ideas, present solutions, reflect on mistakes, and master mathematical concepts through working out problems together. Teachers facilitate discourse in class to guide and inspire students to develop deeper understanding of mathematics, while at the same time empowering them to be their own mathematical voice.
More broadly, all teachers at Avenues:
- ensure students achieve key learning outcomes and target instruction to address individual student needs
- co-construct with students a classroom environment that establishes high standards, fosters a sense of belonging, and upholds our values of welcome, safety, and respect
- practice cultural competence in the classroom and workplace
- inspire trust and confidence among families through regular, proactive communication
- contribute to the broader community of our NYC campus and global network
Math teachers at Avenues bring all or most of the following:
- several years of math teaching experience and a track record of student learning
- strong content knowledge, with at least bachelor's or equivalent study in mathematics
- experience with problem-based learning (PBL) pedagogy and curriculum or a strong background of learning and deep belief in PBL
- familiarity with authentic assessment practices in problem- or project- based learning
- interest in continual and collaborative professional development work on pedagogical practices and curriculum reform - including but not limited to daily/weekly discussions with colleagues regarding the PBL curriculum, classroom visitation, discussion of student work, etc.
- commitment to creating a culture of equity and inclusion
- a strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
If hired for this position, the annual salary range for this position is between $72,000 - $112,433. The salary may vary depending on your campus location and skills. Competitive benefits for benefits eligible roles include medical, dental, life insurance, 401K savings plan, generous paid time off, family forming benefits, health and wellness benefits and more.
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.