College Persistence Advisor
Title: College Persistence Advisor
Department: SEO College Scholars
Compensation: $70,000 (Annually)
This is a full-time, hybrid position based out of our New York City office. It is expected that some duties will be performed on-site at least 2-days a week, and some remotely, with the understanding that government and public health guidelines will help determine the extent to which it is safe to carry out in-person and onsite activities.
All candidates must be within commutable distance of SEO’s offices at 55 Exchange Place, New York, NY 10005, upon hire.
We Propel Human Potential. SEO is an educational non-profit focused on improving outcomes for students that come from underserved and historically underrepresented backgrounds. For over 50 years, SEO has been an innovator in education, mentorship, and creating educational programs and opportunities that maximize the full potential of our students. We are on a mission to create an ecosystem of excellence for the students we serve!
About College Scholars
SEO Scholars is a free eight-year academic program that gets low-income public high school students to and through college. In college, we continue to support students through each of their four years, providing one-on-one academic, personal and career exploration support. Our team supports more than 1,000 College Scholars attending ~200 colleges across 30 states, with a 90% college graduation rate. (Learn more here: SEO Scholars)
Position Overview & Responsibilities
SEO College Scholars is seeking a College Persistence Advisor to join our team. Our team supports more than 1,000 College Scholars attending ~200 colleges across 30 states, with a 90% college graduation rate. We achieve this by providing boot-camp style workshops before students begin college, individualized support, and academic advising throughout the year, as well as ongoing large-scale career exploration and networking events. College Persistence Advisors are student-facing and 90% of the role involves talking directly with students.
- Provide one-to-one support, case management and psychosocial services to cohort of ~65 students, which includes college preparedness advisement, as well as academic, personal and career advising throughout college
- Foster rapport with students through consistent and non-judgmental communication(outreach and advising sessions), as well as through proactive identification of supports that address the unique needs of first-generation and low-income students
- Document student case notes promptly and accurately into Salesforce database
- Maintain, collect, and report student data on an ongoing basis, such as degree audits, resumes transcripts and financial aid completion for purposes of reporting, institutional research, and institutional effectiveness
- Advocate for students with university and other stakeholders
- Advise students in a methodical, intentional, and organized approach to ensure that all students receive equitable advising and support
- Engage in internal professional development opportunities around student support through on-going and regular feedback and clinical coaching for continued growth
- Facilitate and present workshops designed to increase student success in college and the high school to college transition
- Maintain student confidentiality
- Contribute to a safe educational and working environment by participating in all training and being prepared to act
- Discuss and reinforce linkages and relationships between Scholars’ instructional program and their desired occupation/career
- Utilize Salesforce systems, as necessary, to aid in the delivery and reporting of advising services
- Actively participate in the College Scholar’s Clinical Coaching training program
- Contribute to planning and presenting at annual conferences for college students
- Occasional evening and weekend work are required, dependent on program needs
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree required, preferably in Social Work, Counseling, School Counseling, School Psychology, or related field from an accredited university
- 2-3 years graduate school field placement or work experience within either youth-focused or education-focused agenc
- Prior experience working with high school and college students a plus
- Highly detail-oriented and organized approach to tasks while able to meet competing deadlines
- Exceptional communication skills: verbal, written, interpersonal (phone and in-person)
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Drive
- Experience delegating tasks a plus
- Must be data driven, familiarity with Salesforce a plus
Core Competencies and Skills
- Demonstrates unequivocal passion for closing the achievement and opportunity gap
- Self-starter who can work independently and collaboratively in a group, is team-oriented, has a growth mindset and is willing to do what it takes to get the work done (whether it is their specifically assigned task or not)
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, & Outlook), experience using Database/CMS program preferred (e.g. Salesforce)
- Experience and knowledge of the SUNY/CUNY/UC/CSU systems a plus
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SEO offers a competitive compensation package and comprehensive benefits plan including low-cost health, vision, and dental options, a generous holiday schedule and PTO policies, disability coverage, fully paid time off for new parents, and employer contributions to health reimbursement and retirement accounts. We are constantly working to improve our benefits each year based on the needs of our employees. We value wellness and strive to consistently use a DEIB lens to put people first and foremost.
The compensation listed in this posting reflects what SEO believes it will pay for this position at the time of this posting. Consistent with applicable law, compensation will be determined based on the skills, qualifications, and experience of the applicant along with the requirements of the position, and SEO reserves the right to modify this pay range at any time.
In view of governmental vaccination recommendations and/or mandates in areas we work, as well as the guidance of the CDC that vaccination is the most effective means to provide a safe working and teaching environment, subject to applicable law, applicants who obtain a conditional job offer will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement, before beginning employment with SEO.
At SEO we are committed to cultivating a team that embodies the backgrounds and experiences of the constituencies we serve and the communities we live in, and a workplace that reflects the impact we make in the world. Candidates from historically excluded and underrepresented communities – including people of color, women, members of the LGBTQIA+ Community, veterans, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, it is our commitment.
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/D/V. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics, or any other legally protected status.
If you need accommodation while applying for a role with SEO, due to a disability, please email SEO Talent.