The Bipartisan Policy Center is a Washington, DC-based think tank that actively fosters bipartisanship by combining the best ideas from both parties to promote health, security, and opportunity for all Americans. Our policy solutions are the product of informed deliberations by former elected and appointed officials, business and labor leaders, and academics and advocates who represent both sides of the political spectrum. BPC prioritizes one thing above all else: getting things done.
BPC works to reconcile the competing aims of highly interested advocates, corporations, and policy experts and design politically viable consensus solutions. We seek out individuals and organizations that are deeply vested in the outcome of its policy projects and ask that they check absolutely nothing at the door, bringing all their passion, political perspectives, and interests to the table. BPC believes that the fundamental strength of American democracy is unity forged amid diversity, and we endeavor to represent this pluralism in all of our policy negotiations.
BPC focuses on policy solutions to strengthen our democracy, promote economic growth, opportunity and inclusion, address climate change and create better health outcomes for all Americans.
Reporting to the Controller, the Staff Accountant will be responsible for administering all aspects of the weekly accounts payables functions and monthly credit card reconciliations, as well as assisting with financial reporting, month-end and year-end close.
- Review all invoices and check requests for accuracy and relevant authorization
- Assign appropriate accounting code, department and task
- Process check requests, wire transfers and ACH payments
- Maintain AP vendor files (address, W-9, etc.)
- Perform weekly scanning and filing of all payables transactions
- Prepare monthly analysis of AP accounts
- Prepare monthly analysis of AR accounts and create/send out relevant invoices
- Prepare all cash deposits and maintain the Deposits binder
- Update monthly Revenue History file
- Prepare all cash receipts, cash disbursements and other entries for month-end
- Verify the accuracy of consultants’ payments against contracts’ schedule
- Resolve invoice discrepancies as needed
- Reconcile corporate credit cards on a monthly basis and maintain activity spreadsheet
- Correspond with vendors/employees and respond to inquiries
- Assist with bi-weekly payroll
- Prepare 1099s and other year-end close activities
- Assist team with month-end, year-end closing and audit activities
- Assist Senior Staff and Controller on ad hoc basis
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting Required
- 1-3 years of relevant accounting experience
- Internship in non-profit organization is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding attention to details
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel and Word)
- Experience with an accounting software is a plus
- Understanding of payroll and tax compliance preferred
BPC offers a highly competitive salary and provides generous benefits. Individuals interested in this position should send resume, cover letter, writing sample, and three references in one document. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. BPC does not sponsor employment visas.
BPC is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
The health and safety of our community is our highest priority. As such, the Bipartisan Policy Center is requiring all newly hired staff members to be fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized and/or approved COVID-19 vaccine, and to receive a booster shot as soon as eligible as a condition of employment. Requests for reasonable accommodation for medical, religious, or other reasons will be considered in accordance with applicable law.
The work/life balance of employees is a priority for the Bipartisan Policy Center. As a result, BPC is currently operating on a hybrid schedule. Employees at BPC are currently coming into the office twice a week. Exact time and schedules will be determined between an employee and their manager.
This position is budgeted at $52,000