Data Administration Intern
Data Administration Specialist
Reports To: Data Services Manager
Location: New York, NY
Paid Internship: 17/hr
Bright Power has been a transformative player in clean energy and sustainable buildings since 2004. We believe a meaningful difference in climate change will only be realized if it is easy for building owners to make their buildings better.
Our approach is simple: we find energy and water problems in buildings, we fix them, and we follow up to make sure the solutions worked. Behind the scenes, our unique combination of software, analytics, engineering, and contracting makes it all happen. If you have a can-do problem-solving attitude and are excited to join a company of the brightest minds working on energy and water in buildings, then apply to join our team!
Bright Power is comprised of a team of diverse, talented, and hard-working individuals committed to growing this industry and making a positive impact on the environment. We are passionate about reducing energy and water usage by implementing energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies. Our goal is to improve the health, comfort, and value of our client’s buildings while cultivating a sustainable future. We believe deeply in doing well by doing good and come to work every day seeking to change the world.
Bright Power is seeking a Data Administration Specialist to join the data team under the technology division. This role reports to the Data Services Manager and operates at the intersection between the strategic initiative specialists, and the software development team. The data administrator ensures data flow into our core systems from various data sources. Good data flow allows Bright Power to be confident in the insights we provide to our clients. In addition, this role supports processes and tool improvements that increase overall data quality, lower data costs, and/or reduce friction throughout our data procurement pipelines.
As a data specialist, you will mainly focus on supporting one of our biggest clients – Fannie Mae (FNMA) – with data procurement. This involves tracking the status of active accounts, as well as diagnosing and fixing issues related to data pipelines. In addition, you will have the opportunity to work on projects aligned with your professional development interest.
- Monitoring, diagnosing, and resolving issues related to data flow and data quality to ensure timely data delivery
- Design and monitor SQL queries to create cross-database views to identify issues in the company’s data flow.
- Provide technical expertise and analysis across projects and business units
- Analyze internal data to inform business decisions around data procurement and project logistics
- Track metrics and generate reports
- Develop client-facing data visualization dashboards
- Leverage software tools and python scripts to increase automation of data flow to reduce manual work
- Contribute to the growth and operational efficiency of the company by making suggestions for improvements
- Showcase the data team’s impact and value aligned with department and company goals
- Working on an Agile project and operations team, participating in regular standup meetings, retrospectives, sprint reviews, and other scheduled project activities
- Assist management in creating training materials on new and existing data processes and usage
- Regularly communicating with end-users through support casework
- Other tasks as assigned
- Critical thinking, logic-based reasoning, and problems solving abilities
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and tight deadlines
- Attention to detail and ability to iterate and execute incremental tasks
- Familiarity with Databases and SQL
- Familiarity with data visualization
- Expertise with Excel
- Strong work ethic and able to work independently.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with JIRA, Tableau, Python or Salesforce is strongly preferred
- Interest in learning about data analysis, utility data, and how real estate companies understand and manage energy and water across diverse portfolios.
- Passion for sustainability and climate change mitigation
What you get out of working at Bright Power
- Opportunity to learn about energy management, working with utilities and utility data, and sustainable buildings
- Full-time position at $17 hourly salary
- Training in utility benchmarking and industry-standard software tools
- Networking with leaders across Bright Power’s business units, and connections to leaders in the building and energy industry
- 8 hours of paid time off per month
- Be part of a team that is hard-working and driven, but doesn’t take itself too seriously
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Bright Power provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Bright Power complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Bright Power expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Bright Power’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.