P220406 - Associate Vice President for Health Sciences Research Administration and Finance - JSMBS Dean's Office
We are seeking an Associate Vice President for Research Administration and Finance (AVP) to develop and maintain a robust research infrastructure to support the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences and the University at Buffalo’s Academic Health Centers (AHC) which is inclusive of the schools of medicine, public health, nursing, pharmacy and social work. In this position, you will strengthen and streamline all key functional areas that support individual researchers, departments, and units, to increase, support and enhance research activity and advances within the Jacobs School and the AHC.
As AVP, you will function as a member of the Vice President for Health Sciences’ (VPHS) senior leadership team. You will work collaboratively with faculty, department chairs, Health Sciences school deans, administrative officers and with other related research units, notably, the Office of the Vice President for Research & Economic Development (VPRED), University Sponsored Project Services (SPS) the Office for Research Advancement, Office of Compliance, and the Tech Transfer Office to provide effective and meaningful administration of the Jacobs School and University at Buffalo AHC’s research infrastructure.
To be successful in this role, you will need to be entrepreneurial and a dynamic leader with experience in managing an organization that is responsive to external deadlines and internal demands and ensuring resources are directed in a manner which aligns with the strategic priorities of the larger organization. You have managed the review and approval of research proposals, submission to various sponsoring agencies, as well as managing externally sponsored research awards.
You will support the work of UB’s Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) by developing, implementing, and evaluating research and professional development initiatives to provide diverse opportunities for the continuous advancement of a translational research workforce at the CTSI.
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
About The University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo (UB) #ubuffalo is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
- An advanced degree is required.
- 3 or more years direct research high level administration experience.
- Experience ensuring large scale institutional strategic research priorities are implemented via policy/procedure review, creation and implementation.
- A demonstrated understanding of the mission of a major research university.
- A strong understanding of the needs of faculty performing basic science research, translational research, clinical research, and health services research.
- Experience growing research in ways that support the clinical and educational missions of the academic health system and the university.
- Thorough knowledge of sponsored funding mechanisms, federal, state, and private funding agencies’ missions, and expectations.
- An awareness of concepts and principles of intellectual property, research subjects’ protection, disclosure of financial conflicts of interest, export controls, and other areas of research compliance.
- Thorough knowledge of all State and Federal research guidelines and regulations, and the ability to continuously adapt in an ever-changing research environment.
- Proficiency with utilizing academic research databases to collect, interpret and report upon research-related data, including proposals, awards, and research expenditures.
- Possess a thorough understanding of research programs (basic, applied, translational & clinical), training, clinical trials, and economic development.
- Must have tactful and effective communication skills and the ability to operate in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills are essential.
- A track record of having worked with diverse teams and constituents and a commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion.
- Doctoral Ph.D., Pharm D. or comparable degree.
- 7 or more years of progressive leadership responsibility within a research-intensive institution.
- Demonstration of having initiated, overseen or supported successful research collaborations.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and in keeping with our commitment, encourages women, minorities, persons with disabilities and veterans to apply.