The Department of Mathematics & Statistics at the University at Albany, State University of New York, invites applications for a Calculus Coordinator (at the rank of full-time Lecturer), beginning in Fall 2023. This is a 10-month academic year appointment, with the possibility of future 10-month term renewals. The successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating all sections of Precalculus, Calculus I, and Calculus II (AMAT 100/112/113), providing guidance to all instructors of these courses.
- Organizing meetings of all instructors, at the beginning and during the semester
- Approving syllabi, course plans, and assignments
- Overseeing the preparation and administration of all exams, including placement/assessment tests
- Preparing and maintaining course and exam statistics
- Addressing instructor and student concerns.
In addition, the candidate will teach 2 undergraduate courses per semester. The Calculus Coordinator will report to the Director of Undergraduate Studies and work closely with the Department Office Staff and the Math Tutoring Room Coordinator.
- A Ph.D. or an equivalent doctoral degree in Mathematics or Applied Mathematics or Mathematics Education from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization by August 2023
- Applicants must address in their application their ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Expertise and proven excellence in teaching university-level (Pre)Calculus courses.
- Collegiality and ability to work with students, faculty, and staff.
- Prior experience in coordinating multiple sections of university-level (Pre)Calculus courses, and/or writing and overseeing common examinations.
- Competence with LaTeX, Learning Management Systems, online math homework systems, spreadsheets.