Communications and Development Specialist
The North Carolina Justice Center is a progressive research and advocacy organization dedicated to expanding opportunity and protecting the rights of low-income individuals in North Carolina. For over 25 years, the Justice Center has been on the front lines in the courts, at the legislature, in the media, and communities advocating for positive changes for poor and working North Carolinians. The Justice Center has played a primary role in most of the state’s major policy debates and successfully litigated hundreds of individual cases and class actions.
The North Carolina Justice Center is seeking a full-time Communications and Development Specialist to support the development team in NC Justice Center. They must be organized and efficient, collaborate well with a passionate and fun staff, and be able to coordinate and handle multiple projects. The Communications and Development Specialist will work closely with the Director of Gifts and Endowments and the Major Gifts Officer. They work under close supervision of the Director of Gifts and Endowments on goals set by the Director of Gifts and Endowments. This position will assist with day-to-day online and offline tasks such as writing and editing, media work, and online engagement; developing and articulating a strong message for progressive social change across a wide range of issue areas; and utilizing a comprehensive digital strategy to advance the reach and message. The position also requires administrative maintenance of relationships with the NC Justice Center’s current, long-standing donors and supporting efforts to broaden the NC Justice Center’s donor base.
- Lead the creation of the periodic NCJC Donor Newsletter. Responsible for curating, designing, and sending a newsletter.
- Support preparation and circulation of donor communications for fundraising. This involves collaboration with the development team, policy advocates, litigators, and other staff. Depending on the needs, you could lead the writing process, edit a document, and disseminating it in Salsa Engage.
- Video support, Zoom recording, editing for development, cross-project collaborations, and virtual fundraising events.
- Support maintenance and creation of the NC Justice Center’s development webpages on our website.
- Establish communication strategies and tactics for fundraising, online publications, electronic newsletters, and other missives via the online system.
- Design graphics/logos for EOY campaign, events, and social media.
- Help with design, updates, and maintenance of NC Justice Center website fundraising pages.
- Help develop and implement data-based strategies for engaging and building audiences on social media (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram} and through our online system (i.e., Salsa Engage), including design.
- Processing all gifts in our Salsa CRM database via mail, credit card, online, wire and stock transfer, and monthly donor credit card expirations. This is inclusive of event registration/ticket sales and donation reports for committee meetings.
- Manage and maintain donor information in CRM (Salsa CRM & Engage), focusing on integrity, updates, and corrections. Work on list building in our CRM, Salsa Engage. This includes developing a strategy for growing, organizing, and refining our email list; creating and updating Welcome Series emails regularly; monitoring our progress, and adjusting our approach.
- Develop, track, and produce reports, exports, and lists for development projects, including the annual report, mailings, recognition lists, annual event and other cultivation events, management and board reports, acknowledgments, and other related activities.
- Support donor events with vendor research, list building, event planning, on-site support, post-event processing, data entry, acknowledgments, etc.
- Generate accurate financial reports, develop and implement policies to guide gift entry, and ensure that the database effectively captures donor gift information; develop reports to validate gift data and correct anomalies as needed. Working with the Director of Development to ensure all gifts and payments are reconciled monthly.
We’re looking for someone with an associate degree in a related field or a minimum of two years of demonstrated experience who can navigate traditional and digital media worlds to support social justice, equity, and inclusion. A successful candidate will be excited about developing strategy, have strong interpersonal skills, be attentive to detail, and have experience in database management. They will demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills, be exceptionally organized while juggling competing demands and possess a demonstrated ability to work under tight deadlines. A successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to improving social justice and racial equality.
Superior computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Canva or Adobe Creative Cloud Suite; experience working with dynamic websites built in WordPress or similar CMS; experience working in Salsa Engage or a comparable CRM; and familiarity with digital ad creation and analytics.
The Justice Center offers skilled and committed co-workers, a competitive salary (minimum $42,908.00 /annually DOE), and superior benefits to enhance staff quality of life, including but not limited to: six weeks paid time off, paid parental leave, thirteen holidays, $100 monthly parking stipend, retirement plan contribution and match, FSA, medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage. This position is in the Justice Center’s bargaining unit, represented by the National Organization of Legal Service Workers, UAW Local 2320.
This position is open immediately. To apply, please use the link North Carolina Justice Center - Communications and Development Specialist (paylocity.com) to complete an online application and submit your cover letter and resume.
The Justice Center is an equal-opportunity employer. People of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for available positions. NCJC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, or disability.