Community Health Worker - Overdose Prevention & Harm Reduction
This is a full-time position with the New Haven Health Department as a Community Health Worker operating in the field to conduct outreach and educate people who are at risk for acute and/or chronic diseases of public health interest. This position occasionally requires work to be performed in the evenings and on weekends.
In this assignment, the Community Health Worker will conduct drug overdose prevention activities including outreach to people who use drugs, medical providers, and community members to raise awareness and to provide harm reduction education and supplies. Bilingual English/Spanish strongly preferred.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS include:
Possession of an Associate’s Degree in Public Health, Social Work, or related field required; a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Social Work, or related field preferred. Also, one to three years’ experience in outreach activities for a community health or social service agency; and the necessary knowledge, abilities and skills as stated in the job description, including but not limited to:
- Knowledge of chronic and acute disease prevention strategies;
- Knowledge of New Haven’s social service network and community health programs;
- Ability to interact with diverse populations;
- Ability to facilitate group programs;
- Ability to maintain records, utilize a database, and prepare reports;
- Ability to establish relationships and work effectively with community partners;
- Ability to advocate for clients and to link them to services;
- Ability to maintain clients’ confidentiality;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Bi-lingual / Bi-cultural in Spanish preferred.
- Must possess and maintain a valid CT driver’s license.
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLY:
In order to be considered for this title, you must apply during the posting period via the online application portal.
2) First-time users will click "New User Registration" and create your Applicant Profile
3) Click on available job postings and Apply Online. You will need a valid, working email address to apply.
Please note that our method of communication with applicants is by email. In the application process, please provide us with a valid email address, and ensure you monitor your email, including spam or junk, for correspondence from our department.
If you experience technical difficulties in the online application process, please contact our office at 203-946-8252 or email NHJobs@newhavenct.gov.