Summer Camp Cabin Leader
The American Youth Foundation is a non-profit organization which through its mission strives to inspire young people to discover and develop their personal best, to seek balance in mental, physical, social and spiritual living and to make a positive difference in their communities and in the wider world.
Cabin Leaders (summer camp counselors) lead 4-6 campers, and are active leaders in daily activities. Responsibilities include:
- Participate actively in staff training activities
· Model the American Youth Foundation philosophy of balanced, four-fold living and encourage positive youth development in the campers
· Protect the safety and health of campers by adhering to community expectations, including following all policies and procedures outlined in the Staff Manual including our alcohol, drug, and tobacco free camp policy.
· Provide 24 hour supervision and mentoring to campers in assigned group in a cabin setting. Live with and eat meals with a cabin group of approximately 6 campers, helping each camper to adjust to camp life and to achieve his/her personal best.
· Teach interest groups, organize and plan spiritual aspects of camp and lead or participate in Nights Doings when assigned.
· Set a high standard of personal neatness, promptness, manners, language, attitude and participation
· Utilize positive behavior reinforcement and human relations skills with campers and other staff members
· Discuss with the Coordinator and Director any difficult situations that arise in camper or staff relationships, discipline and other areas of concern to the camp.
· Complete all requested records and written reports, including end of summer letters to camper families
· Establish personal and professional goals for the summer and work towards those goals
· Complete all job functions and other duties as assigned
· Must have completed one year of college or equivalent (high school seniors with previous experience may be considered).
· Current certification in CPR and First Aid (training available for accepted candidates).
· Strong teaching/facilitating and leadership skills preferred
· Previous experience working with children, adolescents and/or young adults required
· Wages for the summer total $4,200 (seven weeks and training) (dependent on experience and qualifications)
· All meals and housing provided during training and program
· Lifeguard training and certification available as needed in June (Bonuses offered for certifications already held)