BlueLabs is a leading provider of analytics services and technology for a variety of industry clients: including government, business, and political campaigns. We help our clients optimize their engagements with individual customers, supporters, and stakeholders to achieve their goals. Simply put: we help our partners do the most good by getting the most from their data.
Today, our team of data analysts, scientists, engineers, and strategists come together from diverse backgrounds to share a passion for using data to solve the world’s greatest social and analytical challenges. We’ve served more than 400 organizations ranging from government agencies, advocacy groups, unions, political campaigns, international groups, and companies. Along the way, we’ve developed some of the most innovative tools available in analytics, media optimization, reporting, and influencer outreach-- serving a diverse set of industries, including the automotive, travel, consumer packaged goods, entertainment, healthcare, media, telecom, and more.
About the team:
The Insights division creates and manages the underlying data that drives our day-to-day work. This is a new team at BlueLabs, created to meet our organization’s evolving client base and business needs, to ensure that BlueLabs is providing the most innovative data and analysis to our clients, all while developing and coaching team members to grow and respond to our company’s goals.
The BlueLabs Insights practice works with non-profit, political, and private sector clients to provide them with high quality analysis to better understand the environment they operate in and inform future decision making.
Ripple is a proprietary, business-to-business technology product that helps our clients identify, engage, and measure impact on influencers who matter to their causes or brands. You will join a small and growing team of data, engineering, and product professionals to help us solve some exciting and challenging problems and to deploy the next generation of Ripple.
About the role:
As a Data Engineer, you will help the Ripple team establish and maintain data pipelines for internal data sources and data sources related to our client engagements. The Data Engineer is critical to our client work, which requires proactive and continuous improvement as well as prompt responsiveness to changing circumstances – particularly in handling data quality issues and adjusting the team’s end-to-end pipeline deployments. Your track record stepping into this role should reflect domain knowledge in data ingestion and transformation, including experience adapting to changing technologies and/or client priorities. The Data Engineer reports to the Ripple Product Manager.
In this position you will:
- Analyze, establish and maintain data pipelines that regularly deliver transformed data to data warehouses
- Read in data, process and clean it, transform and recode it, merge different data sets together, reformat data between wide and long, etc.
- Create documentation for data pipelines and data sets
- Work closely with data analysts to understand, identify and effectively respond to their specific needs
- Coordinate with the vendors, clients, and other stakeholders as needed to stand-up or respond to issues with data pipelines
- Perform one-off data manipulation and analysis on a wide variety of data sets
- Produce scalable, replicable code and engineering solutions that help automate repetitive data management tasks
- Make recommendations and provide guidance on ways to make data collection more efficient and effective
- Develop and streamline our internal data resources into more efficient and easier to understand taxonomies
- Ensure a high-level of data accuracy through regular quality control
What we are seeking:
- About 2+ years of experience working with data pipeline solutions; beyond exact years, we seek candidates whose experience working with data pipelines provides the ability to proactively advise and then deploy solutions for our client based teams
- Experience processing data using scripting languages like Python or R, or compiled languages like Java, C++, or Scala. Python preferred
- Understanding of how to manipulate data using SQL or Python
- Experience designing data models that accounts for upstream and downstream system dependencies
- Experience working in modern data processing stacks using tools like Apache Airflow, AWS Glue, and dbt
- Experience with an MPP database such as Amazon Redshift, Vertica, BigQuery, or Snowflake and/or experience writing complex analytics queries in a general purpose database such as Oracle or Postgresql
- Familiarity with Git, or experience with other version control system
- A high attention to detail and ability to effectively manage and prioritize several tasks or projects concurrently
- Effective communication and collaboration skills when working with team members of varied backgrounds, roles, and functions
- Passion in applying your skills to our social mission to problem-solve and collaborate within a cross-functional team environment
- Ability to diagnose and improve database and query performance issues
You may also have experience:
- Working on political campaigns or in progressive advocacy
- Working with voter files or large consumer datasets
- Working with geospatial data
- Working with business intelligence software like Tableau, PowerBi, or Data Studio
We strive to hire efficiently and transparently. We expect to hire this position in January 2023. To get there, we anticipate the successful candidate will complete three interviews (HR 15 minutes, technical interview 45 minutes, and team interview 60 minutes), all virtually.
What We Offer:
BlueLabs offers a friendly work environment and competitive benefits package including:
- Premier health insurance plan
- 401K matching
- Unlimited vacation leave
- Paid sick, personal, and volunteer leave
- 15 weeks paid parental leave
- Professional development & learning stipend
- Macbook Pro laptop & tech accessories
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) stipend for mobile device
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Supportive & collaborative culture
- Flexible working hours
- Telecommuting/Remote options
- Pre-tax transportation options
- Lunches and snacks
- And more!
The salary for this position is $85,000 annually.
While we prefer this position to be in the Washington, DC area, we are open to considering candidates from within the U.S.
At BlueLabs, we celebrate, support and thrive on differences. Not only do they benefit our services, products, and community, but most importantly, they are to the benefit of our team. Qualified people of all races, ethnicities, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, national origins, gender identities, marital status, religions, veterans statuses, disabilities and any other protected classes are strongly encouraged to apply. As an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer, BlueLabs is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. BlueLabs endeavors to make reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified applicants with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If an applicant believes they require such assistance to complete the application or to participate in an interview, or has any questions or concerns, they should contact the Director, People Operations. BlueLabs participates in E-verify.