Staff Crew Leader
Montana Conservation Corps is hiring Staff Crew Leaders! At MCC crews camp while working on physically demanding and essential natural resource and conservation projects on some of the most breathtaking landscapes in the Northern Rockies and Plains. Staff Leaders will complete natural resource and community service projects and are responsible for on-site management of a crew. They will need to ensure a high level of motivation and functioning on their crews. They also deliver the full range of MCC program components. The CL will need to communicate between MCC staff and project partners. The CL ensures that MCC policies and procedures are followed by everyone on the crew. Staff Crew Leaders maintain a good working relationship with participants, project partners, and MCC staff.
Crew Leaders understand the importance of commitment, flexibility and self-motivation. They use their training and experience to help their crews develop. They are creative in their approach to problem solving and motivating others. They are invested in their personal growth as a leader. They value service to their communities and the environment.
Location: Missoula or Helena MT
Hourly Wage: $18
Status: non exempt (eligible for overtime pay)
Classification: Full Time, Seasonal
Season Dates: 04/03/2023 - 10/27/2023
Food Per Diem while on Projects
Access to Pro Deals!
Qualifications & Skills:
- Age 21+
- Previous leadership experience, skills and training
- Relevant technical skills including: trail maintenance and construction, crosscut and chainsaw use, fencing, stream bank restoration, backcountry travel and other natural resource work. Also has experience with a wide range of power and hand tools
- Sawyer skills necessary to obtain operator certification at, or above, B-Sawyer Felling and Bucking level
- Current Wilderness Advanced First-Aid/CPR certification required. Advanced levels of First-Aid preferred
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- A valid driver’s license. Ability to pass a Motor Vehicle Records check and be insurable per MCC parameters
- US Citizenship or ability to work in the US
- Ability to pass a Criminal History Check
- Ability to hike 3-20 miles per day, often wearing a 45lb backpack and carrying tools. Terrain can be steep, rocky or uneven.
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds repeatedly and use hand and power tools
- Willing to work long hard hours in all weather conditions
- Ability to be away on overnight trips for up to two weeks at a time, often camping in a tent
- Previous leadership position with a conservation corps program, preference given to leaders who have completed MCC’s Leadership Development Program
MCC is committed to being diverse, welcoming, and inclusive. We are working to reduce barriers to participating in our programs. This program is available to all, without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, political affiliation, marital or parental status, genetic information, and military service. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. Learn more about Identity and Equity @ MCC!