GMA Foundations (GMA) provides grantmaking, administrative, financial management, and consulting services to foundations, philanthropic families, and giving programs that support a wide range of local, national, and international causes.
We are seeking a full-time Foundation Assistant who will coordinate all administrative duties associated with their assigned client foundations’ grantmaking and program activities, and assist with a range of other administrative duties. Foundation Assistants have opportunities to learn about the field of philanthropy and may also participate in various projects. At GMA we focus on long-term positions, with ongoing learning and professional development opportunities.
GMA’s mission is rooted in our belief in the transformative nature of philanthropy, that each of us in this field has the capacity to help shape a more just and equitable future. We are accelerating our efforts to become more diverse, culturally competent, inclusive and equitable. We value and promote diversity in our employee’s backgrounds, origins, and ideas and work to maximize employee growth and satisfaction.
Read more about our values on our website.
DESCRIPTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Foundation Assistant will be supervised by a Program Officer or Senior Program Officer, while working on several client teams.
Foundation Assistant responsibilities include:
- Handle correspondence, telephone, and personal contact with trustees, nonprofit applicants and grantees.
- Communicate with the public about grantmaking guidelines and processes, and answer questions from applicants.
- Schedule site visits and meetings.
- Coordinate and produce periodic trustee reports and board meeting books.
- Coordinate logistics for and take minutes at board meetings.
- Maintain accurate filing of client documents.
- Enter data, including in grants management system, and generate reports.
- Monitor grantee reporting requirements.
- Confirm and request financial data from accounting department.
- Coordinate and send grant payments.
- Represent the foundation, as requested, in public meetings and events.
- Assist other administrative staff during peak work cycles to ensure high level of client services.
- Handle other tasks as assigned.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in any area of study and 1+ years of administrative experience (including internships and/or volunteer experience)
- Associate’s degree with 3+ years of administrative experience.
- Previous foundation experience and interaction with foundation directors/board members.
- Previous experience managing client relationships.
Qualifications (knowledge and skills)
- Excellent customer service approach, able to communicate in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent writing skills, able to draft professional correspondence with accurate grammar and spelling.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.
- Superior organizational skills and proven ability to successfully manage multiple deadlines, while maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
- Proactive, problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently in a reliable manner, with minimal supervision.
- Basic understanding of and interest in the nonprofit field.
- Knowledge of grantmaking software.
- Experience working with databases.
- Knowledge of additional software - PowerPoint, WordPress, Constant Contact.
GMA welcomes applicants who seek to learn about philanthropy, and we are open to providing training and mentoring to support an applicant’s technical and organizational skills.
Our work week is M – F, from 9 AM to 5 PM. Our office is located in downtown Boston, and staff members may take advantage of our hybrid work policy after one month, with at least two-days in our office weekly. Our schedule may include early morning and evening meetings, and occasional weekend meetings. Flexible office hours are arranged, as appropriate. GMA staff occasionally travel to various locations, urban and rural, to participate in site visits, client meetings, and educational programs. Valid drivers’ license or ability to travel by public transportation is required.
The position requires long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers, and includes some light lifting of supplies and materials.
Salary range: $42,000-$45,000.
GMA is an employee friendly company offering excellent benefits: paid vacation, holiday, sick days and medical leave; health, vision, and dental insurance; medical and dependent care FSA; and a 401k plan with employer match.
Please send resume and cover letter to Leah Even Chorev at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage submission of application materials by April 14.
Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. The position is open until filled. Please include “Application for Foundation Assistant” in the subject line of your email.
GMA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a culture that promotes diversity, equity and inclusion. All qualified individuals will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, political affiliation, veteran or disability status, or any other legally protected classification.