Solutions Engineering & Introduction Engineer - New Grad
Network Systems Engineer
- We are big proponents of life-work integration and provide the flexibility and tools to make it a reality with remote work and hybrid work environments.
- We believe in an inclusive, diverse and barrier-free work environment which makes for empowered and committed employees.
- We recognize the importance of well-being and offer programs and benefits to support and sustain the mental and physical health of our employees and their families and offer a variety of paid family leave programs.
- We are committed to employee development, offering tuition reimbursement and a variety of in-house learning and mentorship opportunities.
- We know that financial security is important. We offer competitive salaries and incentive programs, and an employee share option purchase program.
- We realize time away to recharge is non-negotiable. We offer excellent “paid time off” benefits for all employees.
- Great work deserves recognition. We have a robust recognition program, with ongoing and enhanced awards for exemplary performance.
How You Will Contribute:
As an entry level Network Systems Engineer, we will help you apply your education in support of Ciena’s Packet Optical , Routing and Switching , Network Management, and Cloud Applications portfolios. We will teach you how to be a key technical contributor on the Solutions Engineering and Introduction team which is customer-facing, and you will work directly with Product Engineering, Product Management, Sales Engineering and Solutions and Services organizations in bringing our cutting-edge solutions to market. You will work directly with Ciena customers, helping them to solve their networking challenges and advance their business objectives with Ciena solutions.
- As technical prime, you will learn to drive customer engagements which include product and solution proof of concepts, in-lab, and in-field trials. In the process, you will capture product issues and customer requests for enhancements that could be embedded into upcoming releases.
- You will define, create, and validate customer technical presentations, networking and solutions test plans, and engineering guides - all vital technical documents to facilitate the understanding and introduction of new technology and/or products /solutions into customer networks.
- You will support global account teams with pre- and post-sales engineering activities that include customer bids, technical consultation, solution/application evaluation and design, and other engineering Q&A support.
- You will develop and share your knowledge with other internal and Customer teams and communities - explaining architectures, capabilities, limitations, advantages in product positioning.
- You will work as a product subject matter expert providing consultation to internal Ciena and our Customers .
What Does Ciena Expect of You?
- Initiative – You’re a self-starter who works with limited direction and is committed to delivering against aggressive project deadlines from inception through to deployment.
- Attention to detail – able to meticulously execute test plans or method of procedure while thoroughly documenting results in a comprehensive matter.
- Agility – you thrive in high-pressure situations during lab activities and technical issue resolution. You multitask and readily adapt to changing environments, projects, priorities, and business drivers.
- A sense of urgency – what’s important to the customer is equally important to you. You make getting things done a priority.
- Communication – the ability to work with customers and account teams to understand requirements and priorities, use your technical expertise to develop the optimal solution, and tailor your message, ideas, and presentations to the audience to ensure understanding and agreement.
- The flexibility to work independently and as part of a broader team – you thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment, but are comfortable working independently as required.
- Relationship builder – with a proven ability to influence and work with others.
- A commitment to learning – you keep abreast of network security industry developments, constantly seeking for new ways to bring value to the work that you do.
The Must Haves:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent is desired but not essential.
- Some experience in communications networks, IP / MPLS / SR routing knowledge both standards-based theory and configuration\provisioning (OSPF, BGP, ISIS, MPLS based IP VPN’s) , understanding of fiber optic communication systems and optical technologies including coherent modems, 5G wireless infrastructure and networks, and cloud computing concepts.
- Ability to travel varying from a few days to a few weeks at a time to other Ciena facilities or Customer sites.
- Familiarity with various test instrumentation and/or test methodologies in a lab environment.
- Experience on platforms with Ciena, Cisco, Juniper, Huawei, Nokia, Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, etc.