Crew Lead - (1036)
Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary, full-time Crew Lead with exceptional field experience and organizational skills for a large project in Idaho and Wyoming.
Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
Please click here to see what benefits WEST offers!
- Compensation: $23 - $25/hour, DOE
- Hours: Temporary Full-time
- Start date: Late February/early March 2023
- End date: October 2023, with possibility of extension
- Location: southwestern Wyoming and southeastern Idaho
- Housing stipend: negotiable depending on location
- Additional details: GPS units and other field equipment will be provided by WEST. Field technicians must be equipped with suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots), and appropriate clothing suitable to adverse weather conditions. This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
The primary duties involve:
- Co-managing field logistics for multiple teams, including scheduling, training field biologists, communications, and supervising teams in the field.
- Responsible for ensuring field crews complete all required work and staying on task
- Conducting various biological field surveys including raptor and songbird nest searches, grouse lek surveys, and targeted surveys for various avian and small mammal species of concern including burrowing owl, mountain plover, pygmy rabbit, forest owls, northern goshawk, and three-toed woodpecker.
- Fieldwork will require long, physically challenging days in a range of temperatures and wind speeds, sometimes in very remote areas and rugged terrain.
- Managing crews will require attention to detail, incredible organizational skills, and enthusiasm for scheduling and supervising.
- Safe operation of a four-wheel drive vehicle and field truck.
- Safely managing hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, biting insects, dust, extreme heat, cold and wind).
- Navigation using a compass and Global Positioning System devices.
- Work schedule will be variable based on weather and survey schedule and is expected to average 40 hours per week, with potential for overtime.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Previous experience conducting biological surveys for many of the species listed above is required,
- Candidates must show proven experience with managing large field crews successfully,
- Candidates must be able to record data correctly and legibly, follow specific study and safety protocols, and trouble-shoot problems in the field,
- Candidates should be able to interact positively and professionally with project manager, field lead, landowners, and other technicians,
- Candidate must be a self-starter, have the ability to appear for work on time (surveys will begin at sunrise), maintain focus for long periods of time, follow instructions from the supervisors, maintain positive attitude, and accept guidance and constructive criticism,
- Candidate must be able to perform duties with limited supervision,
- Consistent and effective communication with the team is imperative,
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude in varying environmental conditions, including rain, high wind, and very cold or hot temperatures,
- Preferred candidates will have experience operating 4WD vehicles on unimproved roads and in mud or snow conditions. ATV experience is a plus,
- Candidates may encounter snakes, insects, and other wildlife,
- Proficient use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment required.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Candidate must be able to lift heavy equipment (up to 40 lbs.).
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.