ARBORICULTURE SUMMER INTERN
Arboriculture Summer Intern
The Arboriculture Intern will learn first-hand how Mt. Cuba Center’s arborists manage an extensive collection of trees located in the gardens and natural lands. Our program covers a full range of tree care tasks, such as planting, pruning, and removals. The intern will become proficient at using ropes, knots, pole saws, and pruners. Other arboricultural skills taught in the program include identification of native trees, plant health care, cabling, and groundwork. Training will culminate in advanced instruction on tree climbing and chain saw operation. An additional component of the program is participation in behind-the-scenes aspects of our work, including tree inventories, tree risk assessment, preparation of a class on ecological arboriculture, and alignment of our tree management strategies with climate change. This internship presents an excellent opportunity for an individual who is interested in exploring a career in arboriculture. Qualifications include attention to detail and self-direction. This role requires physical work including frequent standing, bending, twisting, stooping, climbing, lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects over 50 pounds.
Overview of Internship
Mt. Cuba Center Internships follow a full-time schedule (37.5 hours/week) from June 7, 2023 through August 11, 2023. Optional free, off-site housing will be provided. Objectives of Mt. Cuba Center’s Intern Program include:
- Provide valuable skills, education, and experience that will help interns in their future professional endeavors
- Connect interns with professionals in the field for networking and mentorship opportunities
- Encourage and enable interns to pursue careers in conservation, public horticulture, or the nonprofit and cultural sectors
- Create responsible environmental stewards and advocates for native plants and plant conservation
- Candidates must be currently enrolled in, or recently graduated from, a horticulture program or related field of study.
- Interns are strongly encouraged to have a vehicle to provide their own transportation. There are no public transportation options available near Mt. Cuba Center.
- The successful candidate must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. An exception to the COVID vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for qualified religious or medical reasons.
The application deadline is February 8, 2023. To apply, please use the link below to complete the application. You will be required to upload the following documents:
- Your resume
- Contact information for three professional references
- A cover letter that details your experience and career goals
Your application will not be considered complete without these documents.
Mt. Cuba Center is committed to diversity and inclusivity and encourages qualified candidates from all cultures and communities to apply.