Day Camp Apprentice Counselor
Job Title: Day Camp Apprentice Counselor
Department: Camp Programs
Dates of Employment: May 25, 2023 - August 12, 2023
Expected Schedule: 5 days per week
Reports To: Program Managers; Assistant Managers
Housing Available: Yes
Number of Positions Available: 4
Compensation: $450 per week base rate, 10% boost for Spanish speakers, 3% boost for returning camp staff.
At Keystone Science School, we believe that the power of inspiring curiosity and critical thinking, through the lens of science, changes lives and strengthens communities. We create future leaders who can problem solve and work together in an ever-evolving world and workplace environment.
Located in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, Keystone Science School’s historic campus serves as base camp for our diverse suite of inquiry-based learning programs. We combine hands-on science education with outdoor adventure to create engaging experiences for our students. At KSS, we change lives, we bring fun and laughter to everything we do, we care about each other and those we serve, we strive for excellence, we offer competitive compensation and generous benefits, and we are committed to serving students from diverse backgrounds. We’re proud to be Summit County’s #1 Best Non-Profit and #2 Best Place to Work (2019)! Visit KeystoneScienceSchool.org to learn more!
Program Overview and Job Summary
KSS offers day camp programming based out of the KSS campus for local and visiting children grades Kindergarten through 5th. Programming is age specific and full-day, offering educational and recreational activities with weekly science and adventure themes. Each week, campers will participate in hands-on activities, local hikes, arts and crafts, games, leadership, literacy, community building and much more!
Day Camp Apprentice Counselors are responsible for facilitating a wide variety of curricula and activities. They are the primary caregiver for each child attending programming, and are responsible for guiding campers in their personal growth and daily living skills. In this position apprentice counselors will learn from Day camp counselors and receive feedback from Day Camp Leads and Assistant Managers.
Main areas of focus:
- 90% Teaching and facilitation.
- 10% Support staff duties (e.g. facilitation of meals, setup/clean up, transportation, student free time).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise up to 13 children each day and actively interact with and engage children during KSS programs;
- Prepare, and teach age appropriate activities;
- Maintain high standards of health and safety, and follow Risk Management policies in all activities;
- Oversee the successful execution of logistic and operational tasks for Day Camp programs, which includes but is not limited to: taking photos, check-in/out, etc.;
- Drive a 15-passenger van and successfully complete Van Driver Training;
- Set up before children arrive and clean up after children depart from program campus;
- Maintain storage of all KSS equipment.
- Attend all staff meetings and trainings as assigned;
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – Minimum Requirements
- Have an interest in, respect for, and ability to work with children
- Have an interest in, respect for, and ability to work with people with diverse backgrounds
- Ability to create an inclusive learning environment for students from a wide range of backgrounds
- Experience with risk management practices of the outdoor and environmental education industry
- Ability to be creative, adaptable, and flexible while managing children in a variety of situations
- Strong work ethic and will work until the job is complete
- Motivation to contribute positively to the KSS at-large community
- Multi-task efficiently while managing a high-volume workload in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Superior customer service skills, with the ability to be creative and think 'outside the box'
- Ability to work in a busy environment with many distractions
Required Education, Experience, and Certifications
- Current First Aid and CPR certifications, from an approved vendor, or the ability to obtain before the first day of employment;
- Must be able to successfully pass a comprehensive background check.
- Ability to communicate verbally in Spanish;
- Proficiency with Google Drive and CampSite camp management software.
- Age 20+ with an excellent driving record and a valid driver's license;
In many situations, KSS will provide transportation to satellite programming locations.
However, staff may be asked to use personal vehicles to travel within Summit County. Any travel mileage outside Summit County may be reimbursed.
Physical Demands of this Position
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or hold objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee often stands for up to 16 hours per day, but may be required to stand longer in emergency situations. The employee must be able to lift and carry at least 40 pounds for an extended duration. The employee is frequently required to travel for extended periods over rugged terrain. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires the employee to work in close contact with their teammates and children. Staff will be expected to adhere to dynamic health guidance and policy set forth by KSS while working with children during a global pandemic. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but varies seasonally due to programs and staffing on campus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee often works outside and drives vehicles in various weather conditions.
Housing and food are provided at no additional cost. A housing deposit may be collected.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Keystone Science School is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, religion, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.