Intern, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
At Biogen, our mission is clear - we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Together, our employees create, commercialize, and manufacture transformative therapies for our patient population.
We at Biogen are committed to building on our culture of inclusion and belonging that reflects the communities where we operate and the patients who we serve. We are focused on strengthening our foundation to advance our overall Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) strategy and, most importantly, ensure all our employees feel included.
As an intern or co-op at Biogen, you can expect to be placed on a real project, under the guidance of experienced professionals and subject matter experts who are invested in your career and academic growth. We also ensure that you have plenty of opportunities to build your network, learn more about our organization through weekly lunch and learns led by leaders from across the company, and join us for several fun events.
This application is for a 12-week internship role from June - August 2023. Resume review begins in January 2023.
We are looking for a highly motivated student to join our Physical Biochemistry group within the department of Biotherapeutic and Medicinal Sciences at Biogen for a summer internship. The Physical Biochemistry group at Biogen aims to enable target-based, small molecule, biologics and AAV invention and optimization that drives informed decisions for discovery of medicines beneficial for patients with Neurological disease.
In this role, you will be part of a fast-paced and innovative environment actively pursuing unmet medical needs in the neuroscience space. The primary focus of this role is to apply advanced NMR techniques in structure elucidation and investigation of interactions between small molecules and RNA. The ideal candidate should be detail oriented and demonstrate an ability to clearly document and communicate their experimental results and display independent problem-solving skills.
Responsibilities of the role include but not limited to:
- The intern will work closely with senior Physical Biochemistry staff
- Prepare laboratory solutions as needed
- Perform various NMR experiments with mentor
- Contribute to structure elucidation of small molecules by NMR
- Maintain and monitor the state-of-the-art NMR facilities under supervision, record the instrument parameters to ensure its optimal condition
- Participate in weekly group meetings and scientific discussions
- If applicable, research how the efficiency of the current processes can be enhanced by artificial intelligence or machine learning
- Give PowerPoint presentations at the end of internship
The successful candidate should have several of the qualifications below:
- NMR: Have taken courses related to the theory and application of NMR in biochemistry, chemistry, or related fields. Hands-on experience in NMR sample preparation and operation of NMR spectrometers are preferred.
- Biochemistry: Prior classroom study with laboratory preferred.
- Must have excellent knowledge of scientific procedures, ability to understand complex scientific experimental designs and apply their class learnings in a laboratory setting.
- Troubleshoot and solve scientific and technical problems with minimal supervision. The candidate should be willing to quickly learn new techniques.
- Must be excellent in organization and communication skills. The candidate is expected to document all aspects of the experiments performed and be able to conduct independent research to collect and archive all necessary information.
- Innovative approaches to problem solving will be highly valued.
- Must follow Biogen’s laboratory safety protocols and policies
To participate in the Biogen Internship Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Enrollment in a full-time undergraduate or graduate program, returning to the academic program following Biogen Intern or Co-op assignment
- Minimum grade point average of 3.2 preferred
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date
- Completed at least one year of undergraduate studies
Current undergraduate or graduate students pursuing degrees in Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Biophysics, Chemistry, or a related discipline. Experience with writing scripts/computer science is highly preferred.