Postdoctoral Research Fellow - Discovery Oncology
Be a part of the legacy: Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program
Our Research Laboratories’ Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program aims to be a best-in-industry program for industrial postdoctoral researchers, designed to provide you with an academic focus in a commercial environment. With the resources, reach, and expertise of a large pharmaceutical company, postdoctoral researchers will be positioned to excel in an institution committed to breakthrough innovation in research and discovery.
We are seeking an inquisitive and highly motivated postdoctoral fellow with an interest in functional genomics and cancer biology to join a vibrant interdisciplinary environment within Discovery Oncology. The advent of genome-scale genetic perturbation methods has enabled an unprecedented ability to understand gene function at scale. The ability to rapidly identify and prosecute genes as being casual in both normal and disease biology has transformed how potential therapeutic interventions can be discovered and developed.
The candidate will join our Oncology Functional Genomics group based at our company's new Cambridge MA site. The fellow will use novel genomic technologies such as CRISPR perturbation screens, and high-dimensional single cell resolution assays, to understand the genetic and molecular basis of cancer and its vulnerabilities. The postdoc will be able to leverage the full extent of Our Company's Research Laboratory's resources and vast expertise to successfully drive an innovative independent research project. The candidate will be expected to communicate clearly and collaborate effectively with colleagues both internally and externally, culminating in high-impact publications.
- Design, conduct, and interpret in vitro Oncology studies using a wide range of established methodologies
- Drive the development of new methods and application of new technologies, when appropriate
- Monitor, review, and critically interpret published work to guide independent research
- Effectively communicate diverse scientific ideas, results, and propose new scientific directions to explore
- Collaborate with Discovery Oncology and Data and Genome Sciences departments to develop and integrate enabling technology and pursue key biological questions.
- Work with external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations
Minimum required education:
- PhD or equivalent in Biology or a related discipline OR will attain a PhD within the next year.
Required experience and skills:
- Demonstrated expertise in cancer biology, functional genomics, or cell/molecular biology.
- Candidate should be a strong team player with excellent oral and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to work independently to design experiments, interpret data, troubleshoot, and propose future research directions.
Preferred experience and skill:
- Proven record of innovative thinking to propose and champion new ideas and solve problems.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a team environment.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.