Remote in the United States
***Application Deadline: January 27, 2023***
Summary: The Legal Intern will have the opportunity to gain critical legal skills by assisting in research and providing written analysis of legal issues that impact the organization and its important strategic initiatives under the guidance of Farm Sanctuary's General Counsel and policy team.
- Conduct legal research and provide written analysis to support Farm Sanctuary’s efforts to transform the food system, including research related to state and federal policy, and legislative strategies and litigation opportunities aimed at dismantling the supports that uphold inequitable and unsustainable practices in our food system;
- Conduct legal research and provide written analysis pertaining to land use issues, government regulations, and funding opportunities available for entities—including farm sanctuaries—attempting to begin plant-based farming;
- Support Farm Sanctuary’s legal advocacy efforts, including by conducting factual research, monitoring legislation, and assisting with drafting testimony and action alerts;
- Support Farm Sanctuary’s General Counsel in other critical animal protection and food system transformation initiatives, as well as in-house legal work, as assigned; and/or
- Support Farm Sanctuary's General Counsel on any other legal issues that may arise as a result of the day-to-day operations of the organization, as assigned.
- Current law student (rising 2L or 3L)
- Interest in and experience with legal research
- Strong writing skills
- Commitment to Farm Sanctuary’s goals and mission
- Alignment with Farm Sanctuary’s values of compassion, understanding, integrity, transformation, and freedom
- Familiarity, commitment to, and experience with the practice of equity and social justice, and the principles embedded in Farm Sanctuary’s mission
- Knowledgeable about farmed animal issues
- Knowledgeable about veganism
- Organized with strong attention to detail
- Diligent and dependable
- Able to work well independently
- Attend weekly Farm Sanctuary education workshops that include presentations, staff Q&As, team building exercises, and hands-on learning opportunities
Opportunity to develop and improve legal research and writing skills
Opportunity to learn about various legal issues that impact Farm Sanctuary specifically and non-profit animal protection organizations generally; including legislation, litigation, land use, property rights, legal issues pertaining to administrative agencies (like USDA), and non-profit governance
Opportunity to learn about Farm Sanctuary’s campaigns and programs
Opportunity to learn more about social justice, equity, anti-racism, and countering oppression
Opportunity to engage with a community committed to veganism and greater justice and compassion for all
Gain valuable experience to support interest in future non-profit work, especially within vegan, social justice, animal advocacy, and sanctuary organizations
Further the goals and mission of Farm Sanctuary to promote just and compassionate vegan living
- Terms of employment: Part-time, regular, non-exempt position
- Reports to: General Counsel
- Location: Remote
- Pay: $18.00 per hour
- Benefits: Eligibility to participate in Farm Sanctuary’s 403(b) and medical insurance plan
- Additional Specifications:
- Interns must be available to commit to approximately 20 hours per week of internship responsibilities from June 1st through August 31st.
- Interns must have their own access to a computer for internship activities
- Stage 1: 30-minute phone screen with a member of our HR team
- Stage 2: 45-minute video call with our General Counsel
- Stage 3: Reference checks
- Stage 4: Job offer
Farm Sanctuary is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or age.
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Any photos or videos taken in the scope of employment and/or related to Farm Sanctuary are considered work product and intellectual property of Farm Sanctuary.