The City of Naperville’s Water & Wastewater Utility offers a career opportunity as a Engineering Assistant.
This Engineering Assistant works closely with Senior Civil/Environmental Engineers & water utility section supervisors to execute in-house designs of water and wastewater projects that include the preparation of construction plans, specifications, and bid documents. The incumbent is responsible for the construction management of Water Utility capital improvement projects, including water supply, sanitary lift station, sanitary sewer and watermain rehabilitation projects, as well as inspection of the water and sanitary sewer components of new construction projects.
This position provides technical support to the Utility’s Engineering division (including surveying, AutoCAD work for plans, legal descriptions, construction document preparation, and engineering calculations), and assists in the review of Right-Of-Way permits and single-family development permits.
The Engineering Assistant works out of the Civil Engineering Center located at 3612 Plainfield/Naperville Road.
Salary: $27.83 - $42.48 per hour ($57,887 - $88,358 on an annualized basis), Commensurate with relevant experience
While reporting to an Engineering Manager or a Senior Civil/Environmental Engineer, as the Engineering Assistant you will assist engineers in preparing technical drawings, project/program specifications, cost estimates, contract bid documents, reports & spreadsheets related to requisitions, bids, invoices, regulatory requirements, and budgets.
You will also:
- Maintain files of contracts and documents related to utility construction, installation, maintenance and operations
- Assist & aid construction management of the Utility’s capital improvement projects for water distribution, sanitary sewer rehabilitation and other improvements
- Perform site inspections of water and sanitary sewer components of new construction projects including service terminations, watermain installation and testing, sanitary sewer installation and testing, and final inspections for occupancy and acceptance
- Document and inspect work performed by contractors for quality, accuracy and adherence to project specifications. Approve payment for work completed.
- Conduct investigations originating from management, intra-departmental and customer inquiry
- Supervise Civil Engineering interns
Frequent local travel to city facilities and job sites within the Naperville city limits is required of this job.
The City of Naperville's Water and Wastewater Utility boasts a busy & collaborative working environment, supplemented by training, a forward-looking leadership team, and a culture of both service and safety.
The starting wage is commensurate with one’s directly relevant water utility experience: Most starting wage offers tend to be in the first 50% of the full wage range listed above. Range midpoint here = $35.16/hr ($73,133 on an annualized basis).
At a minimum, Utility Specialist job candidates must possess:
- An Associate’s degree with a focus in Construction Management or Engineering Technology
- A minimum three (3) years’ related work experience
- Experience in AutoCAD
- Basic knowledge of engineering theory
- A valid Illinois Class D Driver’s License and a good driving record
Candidates receiving additional consideration:
- may possess a related BS degree, or substantial proficiency of AutoCAD
- will have attended an IDOT documentation class
The City of Naperville, Illinois is a dynamic community of 148,000 residents, conveniently located 28 miles west of Chicago. Various publications have named Naperville as one of the best cities in the United States in which to live. The City has gained national recognition for our family-friendly environment, excellent schools and library system, low crime rate, and vibrant downtown area. It’s also a great place to work! Our municipal government employs over 900 dedicated individuals in a wide range of job categories and provides a dynamic & collaborative working environment, a forward-looking leadership team, and a competitive benefits package.
Applications should be completed thoroughly, and resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application but should be attached to the application. Include all requested education, experience, attachments, and other information when applying. Incomplete applications are subject to rejection. Notifications to applicants will be sent electronically to the email address provided in the application.
THE CITY OF NAPERVILLE IS AN E. O. E.
CLICK HERE (Download PDF reader) for the City of Naperville’s EEOP Utilization Report
The City of Naperville complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Individuals needing accommodations in the recruitment process should notify Human Resources in advance at (630) 305-7066.