Aspiring Teachers! - Apply for The Marshall Teacher Residency
At the Marshall Teacher Residency, we believe student-centered learning is the first step toward more equitable schools. We know that change starts by investing in the training and development of America’s future educators: YOU!
- Believe that all students can be successful?
- Want to build meaningful relationships with diverse students?
- Embrace an innovative approach to teaching and learning?
- Commit to learning and growing as an anti-racist educator?
Join us! We are currently accepting applications for our 2023-24 Cohort, which launches June 2023.
The Marshall Teacher Residency is a one-year teacher preparation program providing hands-on clinical practice, personalized mentoring, in-classroom coaching, and a collaborative community. As one of the most comprehensive residencies for aspiring teachers in the nation, we provide a pathway to Single and Multiple Subject Teaching, as well as Education Specialist Instruction. Designed in partnership with experts from Stanford University, and born out of Summit Public Schools, we are based in the San Francisco Bay Area, and partner with schools throughout California.
As a Marshall Teacher Resident, you learn by doing :
- Classroom Immersion: Your clinical placement will be in the classroom 6–8 hours per day, four days per week through an entire school year. With consistent coaching from your Cooperating Teacher, you’ll hone your craft and skill as you evolve from observation, to co-teaching, to leading the classroom.
- Values-Aligned Instruction: Starting with a summer intensive and continuing one day per week throughout the school year, you’ll gather with your diverse cohort of Residents to master the credentialing coursework. Led by expert faculty, coursework is project-based and integrated with your clinical experience. The instruction you’ll receive reflects our core values, including deep self-reflection, culturally responsive teaching methods, and conversations about equity and inclusion.
- Mentoring and Collaboration: You’ll benefit from multiple levels of support on your journey, including 1:1 mentoring, in-classroom coaching, and a connected community of Residents. You will examine how theory from the coursework applies to what’s happening in your clinical placement. You’ll receive personalized support through coaching and mentorship. And, you’ll learn from other Residents’ experiences across different school sites while building a professional network.
Visit our website to learn more about the benefits of entering the teaching profession through the
Marshall Teacher Residency, including:
- Pre-admission career counseling to determine your ideal credentialing path
- Affordable tuition and a living stipend throughout the program
- Access to a grant to cover the cost of tuition
- A teaching credential from the State of California
- Priority hiring at one of our Partner Schools
- Option to pursue a one-year Master’s of Education upon completion of Residency
To apply, you must:
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Be eligible to work in the United States
- Be committed to teaching elementary students, middle / high school students, and/or students with disabilities
It is our priority to recruit a diverse cohort of aspiring teachers. People from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Be a part of the next generation of diverse educators, impacting students and shaping the future of education. Apply today!
Summit Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, parenthood, citizenship status, creed, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Summit will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities