Engineer I - III (Transportation Planning Engineer)(Job Id 21534)
*** $2,500 Hiring Incentive ***
Current Department of Transportation Employees do NOT qualify for Hiring Incentive
Job ID: 21534
Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Planning and Engineering
Location: Negotiable – Statewide
Salary: $28.40 - 35.80 per hour, depending on experience
Pay Grade: E1 - E3
Closing Date: 02/08/2023
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information on the Department of Transportation, please visit https://dot.sd.gov/.
The Transportation Planning Engineer identifies and develops projects through analysis of potential needs related to highway safety, all aspects of road and bridge condition, and highway capacity. Position responsibilities are tightly related to the SDDOT mission to efficiently provide a safe and effective public transportation system. Project management responsibilities include the definition of project purpose and need, design parameters, resource requirements, project schedule, cost estimates, and communication needs necessary to address a wide variety of highway transportation related maintenance and construction needs. This position analyzes, prioritizes, and combines needs into feasible projects. The successful applicant will be responsible for cost estimates used in development of multiple project alternatives, conducting benefit/cost analyses on options, and will recommend priorities for project development in appropriate fiscal years based on efficiency, effectiveness, and economical advantage.
Qualifications of the successful applicant will determine the engineering classification level assigned. Salary will be set depending on qualifications.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Only applicants with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or a related field will be considered. 3-5 years of transportation engineering experience is preferred.
- data analysis and planning;
- principles, theories, and practices of Civil Engineering;
- engineering economics and business practices;
- highway design and construction methods, processes, and sequences (preferred but not required).
- access, operate, and maintain various software applications;
- read and interpret construction plans, right-of-way plats, and regulatory documents;
- provide technical information and interpretation to permitting agencies, consultants, contractors, the public, and other SDDOT staff;
- work cooperatively in a team atmosphere;
- lead a team of technical experts through the process of solving complex transportation engineering related problems.
- interpret, apply, and revise department policies and processes;
- create an environment that fosters high ethical standards;
- manage day-to-day responsibilities in a manner that instills public trust;
- use vision, creativity, reasoning, and experience to reach conclusions and make effective decisions;
- anticipate and meet the needs of customers by delivering and continuously improving quality services;
- develop networks and use them to strengthen internal and external support;
- keep current with development in own field or expertise and apply this knowledge to effectively manage resources;
- demonstrate self-confidence and take action when needed;
- attend to all details of assignments and complete work properly, accurately, and thoroughly;
- listen attentively to others and clearly convey information and ideas;
- treat customers courteously and be responsive to their needs;
- actively seek, collect, and evaluate information to learn more about issues or events;
- set priorities, schedule activities, acquire resources, and monitor progress to ensure the successful completion of projects and assignments;
- work to build and maintain friendly relationships with people who can, or might someday be able to, provide information, assistance, or support.
Join the South Dakota Department of Transportation! View more about this opportunity here: https://youtu.be/WdCQix5wB8A.
This position is eligible for Veterans’ Preference per ARSD 55:10:02:08
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus eleven paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: email@example.com
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"