Engineer I -Transportation Planning Engineer (Job Id 21535)
LEASE ATTACH THE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS LISTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE
Job ID: 21535
Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Planning and Engineering
Pay Grade: E1
Closing Date: 02/08/23
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information on the Department of Transportation, please visit https://dot.sd.gov/.
The SD DOT Division of Planning & Engineering is seeking a motivated individual of junior, senior, or graduate level status working towards a B.S. in Civil Engineering that is interested in an opportunity for an educational scholarship and intern position that would transition into permanent employment with the SD DOT following graduation. Permanent employment with SD DOT provides a rewarding career with opportunities for advancement, a flexible work schedule, and great benefits.
This position identifies and develops projects through analysis of potential needs related to highway safety, all aspects of road and bridge condition, and highway capacity. Position responsibilities are tightly related to SDDOT Mission to efficiently provide a safe and effective public transportation system. Project management responsibilities include the definition of project purpose and need, design parameters, resource requirements, project schedule, cost estimates, and communication needs necessary to address a wide variety of highway transportation related maintenance and construction needs. Successful applicant will analyze, prioritize, and combine needs into feasible projects; be responsible for cost estimates used in development of multiple project alternatives and conducting benefit/cost analyses on options; and recommend priorities for project development in appropriate fiscal years based on efficiency, effectiveness, and economical advantage.
A typical 40-hour work week, Monday through Friday, can be expected; although, hours may vary including overtime and some weekends.
Licenses and Certifications:
Bachelor's degree in civil engineering for entry-level position.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Applicants in their junior, senior, or graduate level status pursuing a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil is preferred.
FOR DETAILS REGARDING THE SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY, CLICK HERE: https://dot.sd.gov/media/documents/Scholarship-SDDOT.pdf
- data analysis and planning;
- principles, theories, and practices of Civil Engineering;
- engineering economics and business practices;
- highway design and construction methods, processes, and sequences (preferred but not required).
- access, operate, and maintain various software applications;
- read and interpret construction plans, right-of-way plats, and regulatory documents;
- provide technical information and interpretation to permitting agencies, consultants, contractors, the public, and other SDDOT staff;
- work cooperatively in a team atmosphere;
- lead a team of technical experts through the process of solving complex transportation engineering related problems.
- interpret, apply, and revise department policies and processes;
- create an environment that fosters high ethical standards;
- manage day-to-day responsibilities in a manner that instills public trust;
- use vision, creativity, reasoning, and experience to reach conclusions and make effective decisions;
- anticipate and meet the needs of customers by delivering and continuously improving quality services;
- develop networks and use them to strengthen internal and external support;
- keep current with development in own field or expertise and apply this knowledge to effectively manage resources;
- demonstrate self-confidence and take action when needed;
- attend to all details of assignments and complete work properly, accurately, and thoroughly;
- listen attentively to others and clearly convey information and ideas;
- treat customers courteously and be responsive to their needs;
- actively seek, collect, and evaluate information to learn more about issues or events;
- set priorities, schedule activities, acquire resources, and monitor progress to ensure the successful completion of projects and assignments.
Additional Requirements: Please attach a resume to your application.
For Full-Time Entry-Level Civil Engineer w/Scholarship (up to $16,000) details, click here: https://dot.sd.gov/media/documents/Scholarship-SDDOT.pdf
Join the South Dakota Department of Transportation! View more about this opportunity here: https://youtu.be/WdCQix5wB8A.
This position is eligible for Veterans’ Preference per ARSD 55:10:02:08.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus eleven paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"