Summer Camp Educator
About the Position:
We have exceptional Environmental Education programs for all ages including in-school programs; field studies; Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM); public and teen programs and more. We are seeking 2-3 individuals who love the outdoors and enjoy sharing nature with children. Organizational and positive interpersonal skills are a must. These non-exempt positions are seasonal and report to the Director of Education.
· Mountainside Adventures: Lead Educator stipend of $3,560; Assisting Educator stipend of $2,960, for two 2-week sessions (July 10-21 and July 31-August 11).
· Camp Peregrine: Assisting Educator stipend of $970/week (up to 6 one-week sessions, flexible weeks).
· Ensuring safety of campers at all times
· Serving as role model for Mohonk Preserve’s stewardship ethics and philosophy of environmental education
· Planning and co-leading 1 or more sessions of summer camp
· Communicating with parents and campers as needed
· Attending and participating in camp-related trainings
· Purchasing supplies within the approved budget
· Communicating with parents and staff about changes to the schedule
· Coordinating weather and other related location changes as needed
· Developing and leading daily camp activities and hikes
· Mountainside Adventures sessions include one overnight sleepout under the stars, weather permitting
Desired Skills and Experience:
At Mohonk Preserve, our priority is finding the best candidate for the job. We encourage you to apply even if you don't meet all the qualifications or have a less traditional background.
· Bachelor’s degree in Education, natural sciences or related OR equivalent combination of education and experience
· Experience teaching/working with children outdoors
· Ability to plan, and implement fun, educational hikes and activities
· Strong organizational skills
· Excellent interpersonal communication skills including comfort communicating with parents and other staff
· Driver’s license and vehicle required
· Proficient computer skills - Microsoft Office 365 applications, remote work platforms (e.g., Teams, Zoom)
· Have a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice to ensure that all people are respected and welcomed at Mohonk Preserve. This includes participating in ongoing education and other work the organization undertakes to develop and incorporate these principles
o Bilingual background (Spanish/English)
· Must be able to hike at least 5 miles with some elevation gain while carrying 20 pounds
· Frequently works outdoors
· May require standing, walking, hiking, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, carrying equipment