The Company: Aflac Columbus
The Location: GA, US, 31999
The Division: U.S. Actuarial
Job Id: 4158
Salary Range: $40,000 - $95,000
We’ve Got You Under Our Wing
We are the duck. We develop and empower our people, cultivate relationships, give back to our community, and celebrate every success along the way. We do it all…The Aflac Way.
Aflac, a Fortune 500 company, is an industry leader in voluntary insurance products that pay cash directly to policyholders and one of America's best-known brands. Aflac has been recognized as Fortune’s 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity and as one of World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere.com.
Our business is about being there for people in need. So, ask yourself, are you the duck? If so, there’s a home, and a flourishing career for you at Aflac.
What does it take to be successful at Aflac?
- Acting with Integrity
- Communicating Effectively
- Pursuing Self-Development
- Serving Customers
- Supporting Change
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Working with Diverse Populations
What will you be doing in this role?
- Intermediate knowledge and skills in Microsoft Excel, Word and Access
- Actuarial Competencies
- Technical Knowledge & Skill - Basic Performs data analysis, synthesizes it into something meaningful, and develops materials and presentation of findings. Understands data limitations and considers influence of business processes, market segmentation strategies, and industry factors on analysis. Identify, set, and defend actuarial and financial assumptions; develop, enhance, and deliver actuarial and financial models that effectively evaluate risk.
- Project Management - Basic Can effectively lead projects, including those with cross-functional accountabilities. Highly responsive to dynamic business needs while partnering with other functional or operational areas. Identifies and initiates projects suggested by business needs or strategies and reprioritizes work/seeks resources as necessary.
- Communication - Basic Understand and explain business issues and potential solutions in a way that results in informed decision making. Proactively and routinely seeks out business partners to provide timely summary of practice area results. Has clear examples of delivering business concepts and messaging to a wide variety of audiences.
- Business Knowledge & Acumen - Basic Aligns actuarial analysis and findings with the broader goals of the organization. Understands all of Aflac's products and business functions. Looks at problems from the overall business framework, rather than only a technical framework, and links the technical actuarial analysis to the bottom line.
- Delivers Results - Basic Develops projects, plans, and priorities that are consistent with business initiatives and goals. Consistently achieves results, personally and through others that contribute business value. Develops actions that lead to stated business goals based on actuarial or financial findings.
- Makes Effective Decisions - Basic Provides timely analysis to reach a recommendation, even with incomplete data; not averse to simply approximate an answer. Includes others in decision making as warranted to obtain good input and ensure buy-in for decisions. Evaluates options by considering implications and consequences -- makes decisions outside the bounds of ""the way it's always been done”.
- Values Driven - Interacts with others in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions. Listens with respect and objectivity even when others' opinions conflict with one's own. Adheres to standards of professional conduct
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor's Degree actuarial science, mathematics, computer science, or a related field
- completion of one Society of Actuaries (SOA) exam and commitment to completing exams leading to an Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA) designation
- currently a candidate in or qualified to become a candidate in the Aflac Actuarial Development Program
- zero to one year of professional job-related work experience
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs actuarial tasks using extensive knowledge of mathematics and business principles while learning Pricing, Valuation, Financial Reporting, Business Planning, Capital Modeling, and/or Experience Analysis/Management concepts; conducts fact gathering and claims analysis; reviews and analyzes statistical data, including morbidity, mortality and termination experience, documentation, trend analysis, actuarial research; develops pricing and valuation models
- Compiles and categorizes data for experience analyses and prepares related reports; prepares schedules of statistics, financial statements, premiums, reserves and benefits, documenting and verifying the factors used in related computations; incumbent is instructed on all assignments and refers any question or problem to more experienced personnel
- Performs other duties as required
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate. The salary range for this position is $40,000 - $95,000.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies (Accident, Cancer, Critical Illness and Hospital Indemnity offered at no costs to employee), 401(k) plans, annual bonuses, and an opportunity to purchase company stock. On an annual basis, you’ll also be offered 11 paid holidays, at least 10 days of prorated PTO to be used for any reason, and, if eligible, state mandated sick leave (Washington employees accrue 1 hour sick leave for every 40 hours worked) and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick and safe leave, and adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.