The Organizer position will work to build momentum in key states and nation-wide for Congress and the Biden administration to pass the transformative democracy reform at the federal level, and issue executive orders to strengthen our democracy. The Organizer must galvanize and channel activists and local and state organizations to participate in a series of grassroots tactics to educate the public on the need for sweeping democracy reform and to demonstrate the breadth and depth of support.
- Work closely with the Declaration for American Democracy (DFAD)’s Co-Directors, team members, and members of the coalition to execute a strategic plan to grow grassroots and netroots participation in DFAD’s campaign;
- Utilize DFAD’s digital tools and databases to ensure clear and effective data and activist activity management systems that track the activity and engagement of activists, maximize their impact, and ensure information sharing across the campaign.
- Develop and execute training programs and support for activists, including developing materials such as toolkits, meeting with activists 1-1, and holding training webinars on a variety of organizing skills and tactics.
- Draft and/or edit outreach emails, texts, call scripts, sample social, letters to the editor, etc.;
- Work with activists and organizations to determine strategic decision-making around the best state and local campaign targets and tactics to engage in grassroots lobby efforts and earn media coverage that will demonstrate the strong grassroots support for the transformative democracy reform legislation like the For the People Act and Freedom to Vote: John R. Lewis Act. As campaigns progress determine the best way grassroots advocates can influence their Senators or Members of Congress.
- Coordinate with Co-Director and DFAD member organizations to recruit activists to participate in grassroots actions, including support training activists on best practices for hosting an event, receive press coverage, and other campaign tactics.
- Assist activists in localized media outreach on DFAD-designated days of action and advocacy pushes;
- Potentially manage several activists or interns as needs; and
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree preferred. Outstanding organizational and oral and written communication skills. Strong sense of how to build and grow grassroots membership structures while winning focused campaigns. Exhibits organizing and democracy issue expertise. Creative and collaborative spirit. High energy, self-starter, enthusiasm, independence, persistence, and attention to detail needed.
Knowledge and Skills
- A passion for democracy, including rooting out corruption, getting big money out of politics, and advancing voting rights.
- Experience organizing on electoral or advocacy campaigns at the state and/or local level;
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment where priorities are dictated by what needs to be done to win.
- The ability to think and act proactively and creatively, and to develop cutting-edge campaign strategies, recruitment and retention plans;
- Experience organizing and managing data;
- Strong attention to detail, the ability to work quickly and efficiently;
- Management skills, including being able to work on a team and with activists;
- Patience, and the ability to work with a range of personalities;
Nice to have:
- Experience with Every Action, Mobilize, Spoke, New Mode and/or similar digital organizing tools.
SALARY and BENEFITS: $61,068 – $88,365
Competitive salary bases on relevant experience and qualifications and generous benefits package. Below is a list of some of our benefits (please note that some benefits have eligibility requirements). One year grant contingent position,
- Great medical and dental coverage, 100% paid by PC, including full coverage for children
- Three weeks paid vacation for new employees, plus five personal days
- 401K plan with a 5% contribution from PC after one year of employment
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
- Sabbatical after 10 years of employment
- Student loan reimbursement program
Send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public Citizen is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBT candidates are encouraged to apply. Public Citizen employees are proud members of SEIU Local 500.