Mammography Patient Health Educator
Responsible for providing patient education that will influence patient behavior, by producing patient changes in attitude and skills necessary to maintain and improve health, in addition to ensuring that patients have sufficient information and understanding to make decisions regarding breast health.
MINIMUM SPECIFICATIONS Education
- Must be a graduate of a Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JCERT) accredited school or program.
- Bachelor's degree with an education focus preferred.
- Must have five years' experience as a registered mammography technologist.
- Experience in development and implementation of health education programs, community outreach, and public speaking, preferred.
- Must have a Medical Radiologic Technologist (MRT) certification from Texas Department of State Health Services (TDSHS) or Texas Medical Board.
- Must have ARRT Advanced Certification in Mammography by Texas Department of Health or Texas Medical Board.
- Must have a current Healthcare Provider CPR course completion card prior to hire and/or placement in job from one of the following:
- American Heart Association
- American Red Cross Rescuer
- Military Training Network.
Skills or Special Abilities
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have ability to effectively communicate with all levels of staff, management, patients, and families.
- Must be computer proficient.
- Must demonstrate knowledge and skill in working with a diverse population.
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent organization skills and be detailed oriented.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Must demonstrate patient centered/patient valued behaviors.
1. Evaluates educational needs, develops and presents materials to educate target groups to promote health awareness and good health practices. Review charts, set appointments or classes, review results of screenings, and provide emotional support to clients as indicated. May refer clients to community resources as deemed appropriate.
2. Oversees and executes employee education seminars and health education events providing educational training and public speaking on various health topics to promote public awareness and good health practices.
3. Oversees and executes employee education seminars and health education events providing educational training and public speaking on various health topics to promote public awareness and good health practices.
4. Identifies ways to improve work processes and flows and impr.ove internal and external customer satisfaction. Modifies approach, communication, and interaction to take account of sensory impairments and specific needs of all customers, in particular older adults. Makes recommendations to supervisor, implements and monitors results as appropriate in support of the overall goals of Parkland and the department.
5. Maintains a positive working relationship with management, vendors, community agencies, schools, other health educators and health care personnel. Proactively seeks input to ensure that health education programs are considered, initiated, or revised to meet the needs of the health community.
6. Takes responsibility for own professional growth and development by reading professional journals, serving on committees involved in health education and attending seminars or workshops in the health education field. May serve as mentor or resource to less experienced Public Health Educators.
7. Identifies the need for and creates literature that is disseminated to patients and staff. Reviews and updates existing materials periodically to ensure that information is accurate and up to date.
8. Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws, and guidelines that impact the Public Health area. Develops effective internal controls that promote adherence to applicable state/federal laws, and the program requirements of accreditation agencies and federal, state, and private health plans. Seeks advice and guidance as necessary to ensure proper understanding.
1. Identifies ways to improve work processes and improve customer satisfaction. Makes recommendations to supervisor, implements, and monitors results as appropriate in support of the overall goals of the department and Parkland.
2. Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in the field by attending seminars/workshops, reading professional journals, actively participating in professional organizations, and/or maintaining certification or licensure. Integrates knowledge gained into current work practices.
3. Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws and guidelines that impact the area. Develops effective internal controls designed to promote adherence with applicable laws, accreditation agency requirements, and federal, state, and private health plans. Seeks advice and guidance as needed to ensure proper understanding.