Accounting Internship - Summer 2023
Join us and make a difference in global investor protection.
Who We Are
The Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB), a nonprofit organization established by Congress, oversees the audits of public companies and SEC-registered brokers and dealers to protect investors and to further the public interest in the preparation of independent, accurate, and informative audit reports.
Our investor protection mission is focused on modernizing audit standards, enhancing audit inspections, and strengthening enforcement of PCAOB rules and standards and other related laws and rules. People are at the heart of our mission at the PCAOB. As we carry out that mission, we strive to uphold the highest standards in audit quality with investors’ families, savings, and futures in mind.
If you are interested in working with a diverse group of talented professionals to protect investors and drive audit quality and innovation while adhering to the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct, join us.
What We Offer
- Compensation – We support transparency, equity, and fairness in our compensation programs. We offer a competitive hourly rate based on education level and qualifications, as follows:
- Undergraduate students: $23.00/hour
- Graduate students: $28.00/hour
- Ph.D./JD students: $36.00/hour
- Hybrid work option – Staff will be assigned to the Washington, DC (Headquarters) or New York, NY office. Staff can choose to live and work from anywhere within the United States but will be required to commute to their assigned office or location for occasional intentional gatherings or meetings at the frequency required by their supervisor. Travel to an assigned office or location for commuting purposes will not be considered reimbursable business travel, unless otherwise required by state law. Business travel is reimbursable in an amount not exceeding the cost to travel from the assigned office or location, unless otherwise required by state law.
The PCAOB has multiple audit and accounting intern positions available for the Summer 2023 internship. As an accounting intern with PCAOB, you will have the opportunity to gain a broad overview of the standard-setting process and an understanding of trends and developments affecting the accounting and auditing profession. This role will provide support to the PCAOB by assisting attorneys and accountants with analyzing and reviewing investigative materials, preparing reports, and research and analysis of financial information related to investigations and bringing cases against registered accounting firms and their associated persons. You will be supervised by seasoned professionals that have experience in public accounting and other related fields.
- Assist attorneys and accountants in analyzing investigative materials;
- Prepare reports for the PCAOB's attorneys and accountants based on review of investigative materials;
- Review regulatory filings and analyze financial information concerning investigations;
- Work with project teams in support of standard-setting activities;
- Collect and analyze financial and non-financial information;
- Conduct research using the internet and subscription database services;
- Assist with comment letters received on proposed standards and other public documents;
- Assist during public meetings, including meetings of the Board's Standing Advisory Group; and
- Perform other duties and special projects as needed.
- Actively enrolled at an accredited university or college majoring in Accounting;
- Completed at least one semester of intermediate accounting;
- Proficient with Microsoft software applications;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to be flexible, work independently and be self-motivated;
- Dependability a must; and
- Proficiency in another language is a plus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All PCAOB employees are entitled to equal opportunity and a professional work environment, free of discrimination and harassment. A workplace free of discrimination and harassment is fundamental to professional success and to the PCAOB's mission. The PCAOB will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.