Summer Intern 2023 - Public Policy
The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) is offering a Virtual Spring Internship to a qualified candidate who will support the Public Policy team. This paid internship is a part-time, temporary employment opportunity averaging 20 - 30 hours per week for an undergraduate or postgraduate student. PCORI does not provide housing for out-of-town residents. All applicants must be eligible to work in the US and located in the US. Interested parties may apply for internships in multiple departments; please include a specific cover letter for each position.
Pay Range and Employment Status:
Interns shall be classified as temporary employees who are hired as interim replacements, to temporarily supplement the workforce, or to assist in the completion of a specific project and who are temporarily scheduled to work for a limited duration. Employment beyond any initially stated period does not in any way imply a change in employment status. Temporary workers are not eligible for PCORI benefits.
Current master's level and above students will be paid $20.00 per hour.
The Public Policy department is seeking an intern for the Summer 2023 semester who will have the opportunity to:
- Participate in projects related to tracking the health care priorities and agenda of the US Congress and Agencies and making connections with PCORI’s vast and varied research portfolio. There will be opportunities to attend Congressional hearings and meetings and support PCORI’s busy public policy team.
- Gain exposure to Congressional procedure, players, and priorities. Liaise with internal PCORI staff working on myriad research areas and become more fluent in a variety of health policy issues.
- Gain experience with supporting meetings with a range of participants from inside and outside PCORI on an array of health topics from telehealth to mental health to maternal health and more.
- Build skills in substantive health policy and government procedure. There will be opportunities to practice and improve writing skills, including translating health policy topics for more lay audiences and how to succinctly summarize the most important take aways from hearings, meetings, and briefings. Build confidence working collaboratively and building relationships with people within and outside PCORI.
Incumbent(s) in this position may be required to perform other duties and special assignments not specifically stated above.
Statements outlined in this section are designated as essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The Public Policy team is seeking an intern that will meet the following requirements:
- Interest in Public Policy and Government
- Experience on Capitol hill or a campaign with state governments is preferred.
- Strong organization skills and emotional intelligence with the ability to build relationships.
- Proficient in MS Office.
Ideal candidates will be pursuing their bachelors or master’s degree in one of the following areas: political science, communications, English, pre-med or related field.
Applications for the PCORI Spring Internship Program will be accepted up to 12:00pm EST on Monday February 13th. Applicants who are chosen will be phone screened by PCORI People Strategy and Services. Virtual interviews with relevant intern supervisors will take place from February 27th – March 3rd.
Internship Application Submission Deadline – February 13, 2023
Summer Internship Start Date – June 5, 2023
Summer Internship End Date – August 11, 2023
PCORI will only consider complete applications that include:
- A cover letter
- An up-to-date resume
The health and safety of our employees is a top priority. As part of that commitment, PCORI requires all employees, regardless of remote work status, to be vaccinated against COVID-19. As a prospective and/or new employee at PCORI, you will be required to comply with PCORI's vaccination policy, report your vaccination status, and provide proof of vaccination. Compliance with the policy does allow for exceptions, but those exceptions will only be granted in circumstances related to medical conditions, disabilities, and sincerely held religious beliefs. Continuing with this application indicates your intent to comply with PCORI's Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
PCORI conducts background checks on all applicants.
PCORI’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity both internal and external to the workplace. You can learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion here. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.