The mission of Environment and Planning at NYC Parks is to plan resilient and sustainable parks, public spaces, and recreational amenities, build a park system for present and future generations, and care for parks and public spaces. We work to protect, restore, expand, and manage New York City’s green spaces and natural areas to maximize their benefits for environmental and community health and resilience. Environment & Planning is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff and we encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
• Under the direction of the Chief of Staff, with wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment, perform difficult professional work for the Environment and Planning division.
• Serve as primary external communications liaison to Agency Communications Office, including Digital Media and Press. Respond to press questions, meet with appropriate staff, synthesize data, and provide timely, accurate responses to external inquiries.
• Act as Division Liaison to Parks Digital Media and Marketing and lead development of Environment and Planning web content to effectively convey our services and promote the benefits of nature in NYC. Act as the point of contact for other digital products such as the online tree map or other initiatives. Act as a liaison with partners.
• Manage and Produce External Communications for Environment and Planning to promote division activities and work throughout the year, including press releases, social media content, and external facing publications.
• Work in tandem with the Correspondence Liaison, who is the primary manager of the correspondence program. Compose high level correspondence on behalf of agency staff in professional manner as necessary. Attend agency correspondence meetings and work to standardize and improve correspondence, communications, and customer service to align with diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging principles within Environment and Planning division and agency forestry offices.
• Assist in preparation and review of information shared with elected officials for accuracy, coordinate materials for council hearings and represent the division at meetings with elected officials as needed
• Assist with coordination of day-to-day operations, organizing meetings and drafting and editing monthly reports to the Deputy Commissioner. Stay informed of division priorities and projects to brief the Deputy Commissioner for internal and external meetings. Prepare briefings on high-profile projects, which may involve liaising with outside agencies. Represent Environment and Planning at both internal and external meetings and events as needed.
• Aid in analysis, project management and/or execution where necessary to support Chief of Staff and Deputy Commissioner. Maintain records of select meeting proceedings, ensure timelines are kept for deliverables, coordinate presentations and provide background materials.
*Work location at Arsenal North and the Arsenal.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
2. High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in "1" above.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam, or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required within 90 days of hire for all other candidates.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
1. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, particularly in using plain language and communicating with wide range of audiences, from executive briefings to the public.
2. Excellent interpersonal skills, with experience with customer service and/or community engagement and outreach using various methods of communication.
3. Creative and quick thinking, attention to detail, problem solving skills.
4. Experience coordinating and preparing high-level briefings and reports.
5. Familiarity with and/or interest in New York City government, urban forestry, planning, natural resources management,
conservation, and related fields.
6. Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 Applications, setting up online meetings (Teams and Zoom), generally tech savvy.
7. Valid New York State driver license.
How to Apply
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link:
https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/. Once in ESS, go to Careers and search for Job ID# 570348. Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from
a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2) From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link: https://a127-
ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Careers and search for Job ID# 570348.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 570348 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Click here to apply: Communications Coordinator OR
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 570348.
MOVEMENT IN THE FACE OF CIVIL SERVICE LISTS IS PROHIBITED UNDER CIVIL SERVICE LAW.
THE CITY OF NEW YORK IS AN INCLUSIVE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO RECRUITING AND RETAINING A DIVERSE WORKFORCE AND PROVIDING
A WORK ENVIRONMENT THAT IS FREE FROM DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT BASED UPON ANY LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS OR PROTECTED
CHARACTERISTIC, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO AN INDIVIDUAL'S SEX, RACE, COLOR, ETHNICITY, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, RELIGION, DISABILITY, SEXUAL
ORIENTATION, VETERAN STATUS, GENDER IDENTITY, OR PREGNANCY.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS DEVICE FOR THE DEAF: (212) 504-4115