Save the Harbor is a dynamic and successful nonprofit Boston Harbor advocacy organization made up of thousands of people from across the region. Save the Harbor led the effort to create the Boston Harbor Islands National Park and transformed South Boston’s beaches into the cleanest urban beaches in the United States. None of this would be possible without dedicated community members, partners, full- and part-time staff, and interns.
Save the Harbor/Save the Bay is seeking a Program Coordinator to support and enhance ongoing programming, assist in the development of new programming, and work at the community level to connect our community members to resources and opportunities related to Boston Harbor, our region's beaches, and the Boston Harbor Islands.
This position is for a community driven, detail oriented, and passionate individual with an interest in community engagement, and equitable programming. Under the direction of the Program Director and the Director of Partnerships & Program Development, the Program Coordinator will support the daily community engagement of Save the Harbor’s Youth and Better Beaches Programs.
Important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
● Research and develop intentional outreach databases to promote all Save the Harbor programs, events, and campaigns
● Identify local events and opportunities for us to be present in our community
● Aid in the development and running of the Better Beaches Program, Youth Leadership Program, Boston Harbor Explorers, All Access Boston Harbor, Share the Harbor, and any other Save the Harbor programs.
● Identifying potential program partners and community stakeholders to engage with our work and communicating the details of our programs.
● Recruiting youth and community groups to take part in our programs and building RSVP lists for our summer cruise programs.
● Mentoring in the Youth Jobs and Leadership program and aiding in the planning and execution of full staff enrichment days.
● Helping to build the comprehensive summer program schedule.
● Assisting in the execution of Participatory Budgeting and all other large scale community engagement campaigns
● Coordinating staffing assignments, working with the photographer in residence, and managing Save the Harbor’s presence at and participation in Better Beaches Events
● Aiding in the communication between Save the Harbor and Better Beaches grantees to communicate necessary information in the planning of and successful execution of beach events
● Communicating program logistical changes to participants ahead of the event
● Support the Save the Harbor/Save the Bay by writing and developing content for marketing events.
● Attend and support Save the Harbor/Save the Bay events - some of which may be outside of work hours (nights and weekends).
Skills & Knowledge Desired - Minimum Entrance Requirements:
● Excellent organizational skills
● Ability to exercise good judgment in prioritizing tasks and work on multiple projects simultaneously
● Attention to detail and accuracy
● Excellent interpersonal, writing and verbal skills with the ability to communicate Save the Harbor’s mission as well as program details and logistics
● Dependability and flexibility and the ability to adapt in a fast paced programming environment
● Excellent communication skills via text, phone call, email with supervisors, program stakeholders, and program participants
● An interest in and passion for community engagement
● Computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Google Docs
● Interest in nonprofit organizations and the mission of Save the Harbor/Save the Bay
● Science background is not required, though an interest in science as it relates to Boston Harbor is a plus
● Enthusiasm for Save the Harbor’s free community programs
● A valid MA drivers license and access to reliable transportation are preferred
● Proficiency in Spanish, Haitian Creole, Mandarin and/or Cape Verdean Creole preferred, but not required.
● Start Date: February 13
● Hours: 40 hours per week
● Some night and weekend event attendance may be required
● Hybrid - a mix of in person and virtual work (at least one day a week in person, and an average of 5 days a week in person during the summer programming timeframe)
Salary and Benefits
Salary range for this position is $45,000-$55,000/year based on experience and qualifications, plus benefits including 100% health and dental insurance; vacation, personal, holiday and sick time; 401K retirement plan.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample as a single PDF or Word document with your name in the file name to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com .
Save the Harbor/Save the Bay is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, women, LGBTQ+ and disabled individuals. We will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.