Research Technician - Kruglyak Lab
The lab of Dr. Leonid Kruglyak at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) focuses on conducting experiments in model organisms, as well as computational analyses, aimed at understanding how changes at the level of DNA are shaped by molecular and evolutionary forces, and how these changes lead to all the observable differences among individuals within a species. More information about the Kruglyak lab and their research can be found at https://kruglyak.genetics.ucla.edu/
There is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Research Technician to join the team in the lab, supporting ongoing projects in yeast genetics and C. elegans genetics. This role will perform research using genetics, genomics, and molecular biology techniques. This position will require a driven, creative individual who is willing to tackle novel challenges and continually work towards process improvement. Ideal candidates will be incredibly organized and have a strong desire to support the research of the lab.
Representative Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform genetics, genomics, and molecular biology experiments.
• Assist with plasmid preparation, cDNA cloning and DNA sequencing techniques.
• Perform sterile techniques; maintain, propagate, and analyze yeast and nematode strains.
• Order supplies and equipment necessary for lab research duties as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree in biological or physical sciences is required, with emphasis in genetics, biology, molecular biology, and/or biochemistry.
• At least 1 year of post-baccalaureate experience working in a genetics or molecular biology lab is required.
• Experience in genetic techniques and molecular biology techniques. Working with yeast and C. elegans would be a plus.
• Experience in DNA sequencing and other high-throughput assays.
Skills and Abilities:
• Strong organizational skills with high attention to detail.
• Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• High degree of self-motivation and ability to work in a diverse laboratory environment.
Remaining in a normal seated or standing position for extended periods of time; reaching and grasping by extending hand(s) or arm(s); dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers, for example using a keyboard; communication skills using the spoken word; ability to see and hear within normal parameters; ability to move about workspace. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to several pounds (such as a laptop computer or tablet). Work may involve possible exposure to malodorous vapors, low dose radiation, contamination by toxic chemicals and acids and presence of carcinogenic substances.
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this position with reasonable accommodation. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis.
This job description sets forth the job’s principal duties, responsibilities, and requirements; it should not be construed as an exhaustive statement, however. Unless they begin with the word “may,” the Essential Duties and Responsibilities described above are “essential functions” of the job, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Compensation and Benefits
Our employees are compensated from a total rewards perspective in many ways for their contributions to our mission, including competitive pay, exceptional health benefits, retirement plans, time off, and a range of recognition and wellness programs. Visit our Benefits at HHMI site to learn more.
$50,490.00 (minimum) - $63,100.00 (midpoint) - $82,060.00 (maximum)Pay Type:
AnnualHHMI’s salary structure is developed based on relevant job market data. HHMI considers a candidate's education, previous experiences, knowledge, skills and abilities, as well as internal equity when making job offers. Typically, a new hire for this position in this location is compensated between the minimum and the midpoint of the salary range.