Seasonal Ecological Restoration Technician- WI
Tallgrass Restoration is hiring Seasonal Restoration Technicians for our Milton, Wisconsin office to join our full-time staff on a wide variety of ecological restoration projects from installing native plants, mowing, selective application of herbicide to invasive species, and more!
Tallgrass Restoration employs Restoration Technicians on a seasonal basis, when most manual labor-intensive projects are completed. Seasonal positions typically run April through November, however this is flexible. The preferred candidate will have a background in plant identification (native and invasive species), small tool/equipment operation and ecological restoration activities, as well as hold a State issued Pesticide Applicator's License. Selected applicants will be required to undertake equipment and operations safety training.
BASIC FUNCTION & ESSENTIAL DUTIES
Participate in work teams to complete the installation of ecological restoration projects and provide stewardship activities. Job duties will include carrying out tasks related to prairie, wetland, woodland and other natural community restoration, installation and stewardship. Specific job tasks may include:
1. Installing plants and seed
2. Mowing grass/brush
3. Cutting and piling brush
4. Invasive species control
5. Controlled prescription burning
6. Herbicide application utilizing backpack sprayer
7. Erosion control activities
8. Utilization of hand tools and small gas-powered machinery including chainsaws, weed whackers, walk-behind mowers and ATV
9. Utilization of tractor with various attachments, driving truck and trailer combination, if necessary
10. Perform other duties as assigned
· Hands-on plant identification, small tool/equipment operation and ecological restoration activity exposure
· Ability to work outdoors under adverse weather conditions
· Enthusiasm, strong work ethic, courteous and positive attitude, team player mentality
· Participation in controlled prescription burns a plus
· Must be 18 or older
· Our preferred applicant will be enrolled in, or graduated from, college in a biology, botany, environmental studies/science, forestry, or related major.
· State issued driver’s license that is free from suspension or revocation during term of employment
· Must be able to obtain state issued Pesticide Applicator's license within 30 days of employment
Manual Dexterity – Work requires regular speed and accuracy for most of the working day.
Physical Effort – Work requires heavy muscular effort or exertion, but not continuous. Employees shall be able to lift 50 lbs.
Working Conditions – Exposure to disagreeable conditions (outdoors in all elements), requiring use of protective equipment.
COMPANY BENEFITS & PROCEDURES
Starting Wage (non-exempt) — commensurate with education, experience, and certifications held. Base rate is $14/hour for a student with a limited background in ecological restoration. There are many opportunities for raises from taking plant identification tests and positive reviews.
Benefits – Employer paid registration and fees for work related classes and certification during employment, when required by employer.
Work schedule – 35 to 50 hours per week, 4-6 days depending on weather and work load. Some overnights may be required, with per diem reimbursed to employees.
Opportunity for Growth - This position is a great way to gain experience in the field of ecological restoration or natural resources management. We hire employees with a variety of skill levels and level of education completed. We help our employees receive necessary training and certifications that will help them either grow with our organization or to take to their next opportunity.
Employees may be required to meet on site for some projects, so reliable transportation is needed. Paid travel to/from job sites when riding in company trucks.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Tallgrass Restoration is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against employees and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental or physical), genetic information, military status, marital status, order of protection status, gender identity, and sexual orientation, all in accordance with applicable law.
Tallgrass Restoration, LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer