Engineer III - IV (Geotechnical Construction Engineer)(Job Id 21579)
*** $2,500 Hiring Incentive! ***
Current Department of Transportation Employees do NOT qualify for Hiring Incentive
Job ID: 21579
Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Planning and Engineering / Office of Materials and Surfacing
Salary: $33.80 - $39.79, depending on experience
Pay Grade: E3 - E4
Closing Date: 02/09/2023
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information about the Department of Transportation, please visit http://dot.sd.gov.
This position is the Geotechnical Construction Engineer within the Department of Transportation’s Geotechnical Engineering Activity. The Geotechnical Construction Engineer provides technical assistance and construction support for transportation projects throughout the state. Duties include, but are not limited to, providing geotechnical design recommendations; reviewing construction plans; and providing construction assistance during pile driving operations, drilled shaft construction, spread footing excavations, retaining wall construction, embankment grading operations, and landslide mitigation activities.
Work activity will involve both an office and outdoor environment. Travel is required for construction support activities with overnight stays as necessary for long distance and/or multi-day work trips. Outdoor work involves working around traffic and heavy construction equipment.
Licenses and Certifications:
Professional Engineering license (preferred but not required).
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
A bachelor’s degree in civil or geological engineering plus 5 years of construction or geotechnical engineering experience.
- South Dakota geology;
- geotechnical engineering principles;
- highway and bridge construction.
- communicate effectively;
- manage multiple projects concurrently;
- operate a computer and use Microsoft software.
- display high standards of ethical conduct;
- attend to all details of assignments and complete work properly, accurately, and thoroughly;
- display a high level of effort and commitment towards completing assignments and goals;
- set priorities, schedule activities, acquire resources, and monitor progress to ensure the successful completion of projects and assignments;
- treat customers courteously and be responsive to their needs;
- listen attentively to others and clearly convey information and ideas;
- work cooperatively with others and promote a friendly work climate;
- work outdoors in all weather conditions.
This position is eligible for Veterans’ Preference per ARSD 55:10:02:08.
Join the South Dakota Department of Transportation! View more about this opportunity here: https://youtu.be/WdCQix5wB8A.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus eleven paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"