SURFACE LOGISTICS TRAINEE
This role is part of the United States Postal Service Professional Development Program (PDP), to develop the competencies, technical knowledge, skills, and experience needed for success in a full performance Headquarters level job. The first year of the program is dedicated to developing core competencies using the Postal Service Competency model. Selected candidates will apply the technical knowledge, skills, and abilities acquired from an academic program of study to the USPS business environment through the completion of projects and work assignments within various business units. Throughout the program, trainees will have the opportunity to participate in mentoring and networking opportunities within various levels of the organization.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs entry-level assignments designed to develop a broad understanding of U.S. Postal Services surface transportation functions, internal policies, and procedures.
- Learns about the processes, procedures, and methods used at the USPS corporate level to develop core professional competencies and develop a deeper understanding of surface logistics planning responsibilities and objectives.
- Participates in team projects by researching and collecting relevant information to support the analysis and evaluation of national surface transportation programs, systems, processes, standards, policies, procedures, operations, and requirements.
- Provides support to communication efforts related to surface transportation programs, policies, procedures, and requirements. Drafts responses, guidelines, and instructions for service improvement recommendations. Assists in the development of reports and presentations to present conclusions of trends, insights, and recommendations.
- Reviews the performance of surface transportation service providers to assist in the performance improvement process. Provides support to systems and programs designed to improve overall network performance. Assists with conducting research related to surface transportation operation technical issues and proposed changes designed to improve service and cost efficiencies.
- Learns about defined service and cost requirements, seasonal volume fluctuations, and facility operating plans to assist in the maintenance of optimal network transportation schedules and routings. Aids in the evaluation of network change requests and associated recommendations and requirements.
- Knowledge of logistics or transportation network planning concepts and practices.
- Ability to coordinate work with team members to ensure project requirements are met and completed on schedule.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing sufficient to convey information in a clear, concise manner appropriate for the targeted audience with the appropriate communication medium.
- Ability to review data to identify issues and trends.
- Ability to review information and materials to ensure completeness and accuracy.
- Skilled in using word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation development software applications sufficient to prepare briefings, reports, and presentations.
- EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: Possession of a Bachelors's or Graduate degree in Logistics, Industrial Engineering, or a closely related field from a college or university accredited by a national or regional accreditation organization recognized and sanctioned by the U.S. Department of Education. NOTE: Qualified applicants must earn a degree from an accredited college or university no more than 24 months prior to the date of employment. Preference-eligible veterans (see 5 U.S.C. ' 2108) who were unable to apply during that two-year period because of their military service may apply up to two years after they are released or discharged from active service. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed six years from the date on which they received their qualifying degrees. Must Graduate by JUNE 30, 2023.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST ATTACH A RESUME AND TRANSCRIPT TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION!!!
**This position requires a NACI clearance. This process can take up to 6 - 8 weeks from the date the offer letter is returned** This is a two-step application process requiring you to create a profile and submit an application for the position you are applying for.