Intern - Science News Writer
Science has an exciting opportunity for a News Writer Intern to join our News team. Reporting to the Online News Editor, you will become an active member of the news staff, reporting and writing for Science's daily online news site and Science Magazine.
This is a full-time 6-month paid internship with benefits that runs from July to December, 2023. News Writer Interns will receive an hourly rate of $19.50.
This position may be hybrid (based out of our DC Office) or fully remote. DC Metro Area applicants are preferred, but the position is open to US-based remote workers in select states.*
Applications are due by March 4, 2023.
What You’ll Do
- Become an active member of the news staff, writing for Science's daily online news site. News stories typically run 600-800 words and cover all areas of science and science policy
- Write longer news articles and possibly feature stories for the magazine. Interns are typically assigned stories but are welcome to pitch their own ideas
- Additional duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or senior year of college; advanced degree or certification preferred
- Experience in writing about science for a broad (i.e. non-technical) audience, and should be prepared to report, research, and write under daily deadlines
- A background in science is preferred, but not required. Preference will be given to applicants who have published science journalism articles, have freelanced for or interned at other science news publications, and/or have completed a journalism or science writing program
- Submit a cover letter, resume, and at least 2-3 writing samples by March 4, 2023. These must include journalism clips or examples of writing for a broad audience. Clips that cover scientific topics are preferred. Please do not send examples of technical writing (ex. scientific papers). Please submit writing samples as PDFs or Word files, not as URLs.
- Please submit your entire application—resume, clips, etc—as a single pdf document if possible.
- If the document is too large, or if you have multiple files, please send them to email@example.com with the subject line, “News Writing Intern – Writing Samples: [Applicant Name]”.
DC Metro Area is strongly preferred but open to remote workers in select states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where AAAS has a business presence, you may not be eligible for this position. Please contact our Talent Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding your eligibility.
The anticipated initial rate of compensation for this position is $19.50 per hour. AAAS currently provides the following benefits for this position: paid vacation leave, paid sick leave, paid holidays, health insurance, flexible spending account, dental insurance, life insurance, vision insurance, retirement benefits, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance, each subject to the terms of the applicable program. Additional benefits may apply.
Any actual offer of employment, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be made in the sole discretion of AAAS and will be based on a variety of factors, including years of experience, depth of experience, and other relevant factors. AAAS reserves the right to amend or modify its employment benefits and compensation structure at any time.
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. No visa sponsorship is available for this position.