Human Resources Generalist Trainee (Hybrid)
Human Resources Generalist Trainee (Hybrid)
Target Class: Human Resources Generalist 1
Location: Hartford, CT
Date Opened: 2/4/2023 12:00:00 AM
Salary: $65,264* - $93,678/year (*Employees New to State Service Start at Minimum)
Job Type: Open to the Public
Close Date: 2/14/2023 11:59:00 PM
Apply Here: https://www.jobapscloud.com/CT/sup/bulpreview.asp?R1=230201&R2=5989VR&R3=001
Are you looking to start your career in HR?
Does an opportunity with a clear career trajectory appeal to you?
If so, we are looking for you!
Recent college graduates are encouraged to apply!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Administrative Services (DAS), is now accepting applications for an exciting Human Resources Generalist Trainee (Leadership Associate) role with a target class of Human Resources Generalist 1 to support the Department of Revenue Services (DRS).
AS AN HR TRAINEE WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage
- Competitive starting salary and structure
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Paid time off- including 13 holidays per calendar year
- Professional growth and development opportunities
- Culture that encourages work-life balance
THE ROLE: As an HR Generalist Trainee you will participate in a development program designed to equip you with the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to transition into the target class of Human Resources Generalist 1. DRS is committed to administering the state's tax system fairly, courteously, and efficiently. We believe the way to do this is to partner the skills, creativity, and resourcefulness of our workforce with the best technologies available. Our employees are dedicated to public service and have many opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- Full-time (40 hours/week)
- 1st Shift
- Hybrid telework schedules available
- Centrally located in Hartford, CT (450 Columbus Blvd) with easy access to all major highways
WHO WE ARE: The State of Connecticut, Department of Administrative Services (DAS), is a state agency whose mission is to provide efficient and effective administrative services to state agencies, departments, and other governmental entities. DAS leads procurement, information technology, human resources, and other administrative functions.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location or shift.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
Please visit our "Applicant Tips on How to Apply" page.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION AFTER YOU APPLY:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency incumbents in this class participate in a formal development program designed to provide the necessary knowledge and skills to qualify for appointment to a designated managerial or professional confidential class assigned to the MP Pay Plan.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Participates in a formal development program designed to develop the knowledge and skills needed in order to qualify for appointment and advancement to a designated managerial or professional/ confidential class; performs/learns the duties of the designated function; performs/learns leadership skills and develops leadership traits; prepares program progress reports; attends managerial meetings germane to designated function; prepares and gives presentations; assists in major projects; participates in budget preparation and management; attends formal training courses; may lead special projects; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable oral and written communication skills; interpersonal skills; considerable ability to understand and apply state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable ability to analyze and solve problems; considerable ability to effect and manage change; considerable ability to plan for and implement excellent customer service; considerable ability to learn a new knowledge base in functional area; considerable ability to learn and apply policy and procedure; managerial aptitude.
Candidates must be able to meet the experience and training requirements of the designated class at the completion of the development program.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Experience using Microsoft Office including, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams.
- Experience in a role providing customer service in person, in writing, or over the telephone.
- Experience meeting deadlines against competing priorities.
- Experience using Peoplesoft or other Human Resources Information System.
- Experience administering human resources within a union environment.
1. Prior to appointment to this class there must be an approved managerial or professional confidential designated class identified to which the incumbent will be appointed upon successful completion of an approved development program. Incumbents in this class must meet the experience and training requirements of the identified designated class at the end of the development program.
2. The work schedule for this classification is full-time. Incumbents must work a full-time forty (40) hours per week schedule.
3. Incumbents in this class will be eligible for reclassification to the designated class without competitive examination upon successful completion of the development program and satisfactory service. The length of the development program should be designed around the requirements of the designated class and the prior experience of the incumbent but in no case should be less than one (1) year or exceed three (3) calendar years in accordance with C.G.S. 5-234.
4. All appointments to this class shall be under terms of an approved development program and in accordance with a time schedule approved by the Department of Administrative Services.
5. No additional working test period shall be required upon successful completion of the development program.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.