Intern, Edelman Smithfield
This role is open to be based from: New York, NY; Chicago, IL; San Francisco, CA; Washington, D.C.
Application deadline: Friday, March 10, 2023
Internship Program dates: Monday, June 5 - Friday, August 11, 2023
In the ever-changing arena of public relations, we’re looking for creative and intelligent practitioners to join Edelman Smithfield as an intern this summer! Designed to propel your career in public relations, integrated and digital marketing, we offer internships in a variety of specialties. In order to be considered, you must be a rising senior having completed your junior year of undergrad by the summer of 2023, or a student pursuing a post-graduate degree.
Edelman Smithfield is a global financial communications firm with the power and scope of Edelman, the world’s largest integrated communications company. We specialize in financial markets and strategic situations, serving clients in the United States, Canada, EMEA, APAC, and beyond. Edelman Smithfield offers a deep and talented bench of approximately 250 financial market specialists across more than 25 cities and 15 countries.
To land this gig, you need to have a passion for people and helping others solve problems. Our culture is what sets us apart from traditional ad agencies, and it’s why so many stay with us awhile. At Edelman, our most valuable resource is you – our people – with a diversity of backgrounds, ideas, and smarts (with heart). We support one another, encourage each other, and we’re looking for individuals who want to contribute to our culture.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Drafting press releases, media lists, fact sheets, editorial content and much more
- Learning the basics of your clients’ business – i.e. product/service offerings, media targets, and competitors
- Monitoring client and competitor media coverage and drafting coverage recaps for your team
- Conducting social media monitoring and reporting
- Updating media lists and pitching media contacts, under the direction of a supervisor
- Staying up to date on industry news and trends
- Participating in team brainstorming sessions
- Assisting with the preparation of press kits for distribution
- Assisting with research projects and new business audits
- A passion for communications, PR and Financial Services
- Proven organization skills and the ability to adapt to new assignments, deadlines, and conditions quickly
- Strong verbal and written communication skills – whether presenting to colleagues, drafting emails to clients, or participating in brainstorming sessions
- Strong research skills and a demonstrated ability to become a strong writer
- Developed interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a variety of people across multiple accounts
- Basic understanding of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- History of strong leadership skills through work experience and/or extracurricular activities
- Demonstrated creative thinker
- Familiar with the public relations, digital marketing, or communications discipline through past coursework, internships, or personal experiences
- Interns are paid $18/ hour and are expected to work a full-time schedule (40 hours/ week)
- Internship is a 10-week program beginning on Monday, June 5, 2023
- In order to be considered, you must be a rising senior having completed your junior year by the summer of 2023, or a student pursuing a post-graduate degree
- The internship program will be hybrid—approximately 3 days/week in office
- Edelman does not provide any form of housing reimbursement
- Only students who are authorized to work in the United States will be considered
- Failure to submit a complete application will result in ineligibility
In order to be considered, you must submit the following with your application:
- A resume of relevant work, education and extra-curricular experiences
- A writing sample in 500 words or less in response to this prompt: Share a skill that you possess that would be most valuable to this role.
Interns will be paid an hourly rate of $18.00.
An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, seniority, geographic location, performance, travel requirements, revenue-based metrics, any contractual agreements, and business or organizational needs. The range listed is just one component of DJEH’s total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include annual bonuses, a Paid Time Off policy, and region-specific benefits.