Research Geneticist (Plants) (Research Associate)
This position is located with United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Research Service (ARS), Pacific West Area (PWA), Northwest Irrigation & Soils Research Lab in Kimberly, ID and will provide research support to the Labs Research Plant Pathologist.
**ANNOUNCEMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED OR JUNE 06, 2023**
- Analyzes existing genomics and RNA expression (mRNAs/small RNAs) data associated with disease resistance traits in sugar beet and obtains meaningful conclusions.
- Prepares manuscripts for peer-reviewed publications.
- In consultation with supervisor, plans, organizes, and conducts additional experiments in sugar beet related to disease resistance, and other physiological traits (e.g. bolting) under greenhouse and field conditions.
- Performs basic molecular biology work associated with DNA/RNA in the lab.
- Presents research at scientific meetings.
Conditions of Employment
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service registered or exempt
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check
- Direct Deposit ? Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institutionSuccessfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit E-Verify at https://www.e-verify.gov/Appropriations Law and Immigration Law requirements must be met
Applicants must meet basic Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standard's requirements of the scientific discipline necessary to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS - GS-0440-11:
Degree: genetics; or one of the basic biological sciences that included at least 9 semester hours in genetics.
Graduate Education: Genetics, or a curriculum or pattern of training that placed major emphasis on genetics. Graduate study in related fields such as agronomy, horticulture, animal, dairy, or poultry husbandry, entomology, microbiology, plant pathology, chemistry, molecular and cellular biology, and physiology that involved cross-training in genetics is qualifying, provided it placed sufficient emphasis on genetics.
Evaluation of Education: Most students in the field take graduate work because specific training in genetics may be limited at the undergraduate level. Under these circumstances, it may be necessary to evaluate undergraduate course work in genetics in one of two ways, as described below, to determine whether or not it is qualifying.
- Courses dealing with genetics, some phase of genetics, or specific techniques that are applied in genetics work are acceptable. This includes courses in genetics, plant or animal genetics, molecular and cellular biology, mathematics and statistics (as they apply to genetics), population dynamics, and certain techniques such as those dealing with irradiation.
- Course work consisting of an appropriate combination of basic courses in genetics and cytology or statistics are also acceptable.
In Addition to the Qualification Requirements outlined above, the incumbent will require the education and experience outlined below.
PhD in Plant Genetics, Bioinformatics, Plant Pathology, Horticulture with an emphasis on marker trait association and handling genomics, RNA expression (mRNAs/small RNAs), proteomics, and metabolomics data. Additional experience in handling microbiome data would be helpful.
This position has a positive education requirement. You must submit a copy of your academic transcripts OR a list of college courses with credit hours, dates completed, and grades received to verify education when applying for this position. If this information is not provided, your education may not be appropriately evaluated and you may lose consideration for this position. If you are selected for this position, you will have to provide an official copy of your transcripts prior to entering on duty. Application materials will not be returned.
Link for Job Posting: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/693190800