Summer Scholar: Women’s Economic Justice
Hybrid | Preferred Location: Washington, D.C
June 12–August 4, 2023 | 40 Hours/Week | Compensated at $18/Hour
The Century Foundation’s Summer Scholars is an internship program designed to foster skill sets in order to excel in the public policy sector. Scholars will build important skills, add to their portfolios, meet interesting people, and hopefully even have some fun. The program is a hybrid, eight-week, full-time position, running from Monday, June 12 through Friday, August 4. For more information on the program, visit tcf.org/SummerScholars.
The Women’s Economic Justice Scholar will work on projects that promote intersectional solutions that advance women’s economic security, with a focus on work and care. Policy priorities include child care and early learning, paid family and medical leave, the child tax credit, equal pay, paid sick days, workplace harassment protections, and issues facing domestic workers and other vulnerable groups. Our goals are to ensure that these issues are central to the national economic conversation, and to promote women’s economic justice through state and federal legislation and executive action. You will assist in conducting research and expanding the capacity of the program to work on the wide range of relevant issues on the national, state, and local levels. You will work on projects that are timely, relevant, and use data to construct narratives that help advance women’s economic justice.
- Some college, perhaps more. An undergrad, grad student, or recent graduate with a strong background in policy analysis or communications. Community College, HBCU, and Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) students and alumni are encouraged to apply.
- Strong research skills. Scholars need to be quick, thorough, and accurate. It is a plus to be able to work with complex data, and then present that data in engaging graphic formats.
- A good writer. You like writing and want feedback on how to become more concise and impactful with your words.
- A self-starter. Scholars are looking for the opportunity to own a project and work independently.
- A team player. TCF is highly collaborative. We want Scholars to own a project, but we also want them to be enthusiastic about learning from others. We hope you'll teach us a thing or two as well.
- A multi-tasker. Scholars will work on a lot of different things on any given day. It is crucial to be organized, good with details, and have a knack for problem solving to succeed at TCF.
- A progressive. TCF is a progressive public policy think tank—check out our work here and if you like what you see, you’ll fit right in.
Please apply with a resume, cover letter, and two writing examples via BambooHR. To be considered, apply by March 15, 2023. If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
BambooHR website to apply: https://thecenturyfoundation.bamboohr.com/careers/81
THE CENTURY FOUNDATION
The Century Foundation is a progressive, independent think tank that conducts research, develops solutions, and drives policy change to make people’s lives better. We pursue economic, racial, gender, and disability equity in education, health care, and work, and promote U.S. foreign policy that fosters international cooperation, peace, and security. TCF has offices in New York and Washington, D.C.
The Century Foundation is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including women, LGBTQIA people, people of color, and people with disabilities. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States, for example by being a citizen or being a student with an F-1 visa that will cover the entire period of the eight-week program.