Design and Building Performance Summer Intern (Sustainability)
About the Organization: Preservation of Affordable Housing, Inc. (POAH) is a national nonprofit organization whose mission is to preserve, create and sustain affordable, healthy homes that support economic security, racial equity and access to opportunity for all. POAH owns and operates more than 12,300 affordable homes at more than 124 properties in 11 states and the District of Columbia. POAH is based in Boston with offices in Chicago and Washington, DC.
POAH’s reach is national in scope, and its pursuit of the preservation mission is empowered by a focus on the business bottom line. Its strong reputation is the result of a demonstrated ability to craft complex financial transactions, tackle tough multi-family projects, and close deals that preserve the affordability of at-risk properties. The organization and its leaders are at the forefront of policy and legislative discussions around housing preservation, affordable housing finance and regulatory reform, including energy efficiency in the multifamily sector.
The POAH team is dedicated, creative and passionate. We believe a diverse and inclusive team is a stronger, smarter team and we actively promote diversity and meaningful inclusion of different perspectives among our Board, our staff, our partners, in our procurement of goods and services, and at our communities. We understand that addressing structural racism and achieving racial equity are central to the work we do and we proactively integrate the issue of race in our housing work.
About the Position: POAH is seeking a candidate that is responsible, enthusiastic, and looking to learn and gain experience in energy management, energy efficiency project management, and/or energy efficiency design and the affordable housing industry. This position would assist the Design and Building Performance team which manages the energy performance for the entire POAH portfolio across all 12 states and the District of Columbia as well as the design requirements needed to ensure energy efficient operation, durability, resiliency, and comfort for residents. Specific responsibilities may include:
· assisting with building surveys to document existing conditions and equipment to facilitate rehab scope, capital planning, and discreet projects for improved comfort, health, and energy performance
· support Energy Management Associates with their data, benchmarking, reporting and/or grant work when needed
· Perform other duties as directed by the Vice President of Design & Building Performance and Director of Energy & Capital Projects
Knowledge and Experience:
Candidates should have:
· Interest in interest in building science, building systems, clean energy, and/or sustainability
· Ability to communicate effectively in person and in writing;
· Working knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Office tools
· Organizational skills to manage simultaneous and competing activities and demands and meet deadlines.