Laboratory Assistants and Part Time Helpers
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is currently searching for Part Time Helpers and Laboratory Assistants to join the Marine Chemistry & Geochemistry Department for the 2023 summer period (June - August) or perhaps for a longer period. These positions are non-exempt, casual and are not eligible for benefits.
With direct supervision, performs routine laboratory and clerical assignments. In general, duties will include washing laboratory glassware, general lab organization and maintenance, data entry, and other project-specific duties as required.
*Position level will be based on the selected candidates' education and experience.
• Packing and unpacking containers
• Organizing paper or electronic files
• General clean-up; washing glassware
• Data Entry
Lab Assistant I/II:
• Light field work/sample collection
• Organizing lab work areas; washing glassware
• May use spreadsheet software
• As deemed necessary by supervisor
Education & Experience
- Basic computer skills are required
- Must be able to comfortably work in a lab setting
- Working toward a high school diploma
- STEM courses are a plus
Lab Assistant I:
- High School diploma or equivalent is required
- MS Office familiarity is desired
Lab Assistant II:
- High School Diploma with lab experience is required
- MS Office familiarity and spreadsheet manipulation ability is desired.
WHOI has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy in effect, where you must register your full vaccination status [vaccination plus booster] in order to begin your employment. The registration process is confidential and entails submitting your official vaccination records, or requesting to engage in the interactive exemption process for either a medical or religious reason. Evidence of full vaccination or request for an exemption process can be sent to our confidential email of email@example.com. All questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccination mandate must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Positions likely will be split between computer work and lab work. No pre-determined physical requirements; all candidates should be encouraged to apply.
WHOI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans/M/F. We encourage Veterans and those with Disabilities to apply. Applications are reviewed confidentially. Applicants that require accommodation in the job application process are encouraged to contact us at (508) 289-2253 or email email@example.com for assistance.