Youth Restoration Crew Leader
Wave Hill is a 28-acre public garden and cultural center overlooking the Hudson River and Palisades. Its mission is to celebrate the artistry and legacy of its gardens and landscapes, to preserve its magnificent views, and to explore human connections to the natural world through programs in horticulture, education, and the arts. The Education Department provides hands-on learning experiences for children, youth, teachers, and intergenerational groups of visitors in the arts and sciences to educate and inspire life-long learners.
Wave Hill is seeking candidates to lead crews of high school students participating in our Woodland Ecology Research Mentorship (WERM) and Forest Project summer internship programs. Crew Leaders are responsible for managing a woodland restoration site, developing a restoration site plan with Wave Hill staff, and managing a crew of high school students as they implement the site plan. Crew Leaders report to the Youth Programs Coordinator to ensure goals are met and interns are working to their highest potential. Two weeks of paid orientation and training are provided.
- Work with Youth Programs Coordinator to develop a restoration plan for assigned woodland restoration site and manage its implementation.
- Lead a crew of 6-7 interns in field work, data collection, team building and educational activities.
- Maintain an open, friendly and productive dynamic within the crew.
- Assist Wave Hill Staff with administrative duties, as well as planning for activities, special projects, and field studies.
- Previous experience working with teenagers, leading groups of young people or managing group projects.
- College level coursework in one or more of the following areas: natural resources, ecology, plant science, environmental science, or GIS.
- Basic knowledge of forest restoration with eagerness and self-motivation to learn more as needed throughout the summer.
- Ability to work outdoors with little supervision and to perform labor-intensive tasks.
- Must be enthusiastic, organized, possess strong interpersonal skills, and be flexible in handling different situations.
- Experience as a youth intern at Wave Hill and/or a similar environmental institution is a plus.
Supervision will take place primarily in Wave Hill’s Woodlands and Ecology Building (only accessible by stairs). When outdoors, the Crew Leader should expect to traverse all of Wave Hill’s Woodlands, both on and off path.
Schedule and Salary
This is a seasonal position including:
- Paid training from June 20 to 23 and June 27 to 30, 2023 from 10am to 3pm
- Summer programs schedule is 35 hours with an hour lunch break Monday to Friday from July 5 through August 18, 2023
- The hourly pay rate is $17.00 per hour
Diversity Equity and Inclusion at Wave Hill
Wave Hill is committed to creating an environment which promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion of all applicants and employees. The Education Department strives not only to accept but to affirm and celebrate all identities. Race, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, and veteran status are not barriers to employment at Wave Hill. We invite you to communicate any special needs or requirements to be accommodated throughout the hiring process.
If you are interested, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications received by March 31, 2023 will be given preference.