Trainer, Posse D.C.
The role of the Posse trainer is to help recruit, train, and support Posse Scholars. During recruitment, trainers assist with outreach to high schools and community-based organizations. Trainers also interview candidates and guide them through the college application process. Once the Posse Scholars are selected, trainers work closely with them beginning in their senior year of high school and continuing to their graduation from college. In Pre-Collegiate Training, trainers facilitate weekly workshops for Posse Scholars that focus on leadership, cross-cultural communication, team-building, and academic excellence. To support the Campus Program, trainers travel to our partner universities four times a year to meet with Posse Scholars individually. Trainers track Scholars academic progress and help develop strategies to address any potential retention issues. Additionally, trainers work closely with Posse mentors (usually college faculty/staff members) to ensure Posse Scholars on campus receive the support they need. Trainers report to the program director of the site and work in close collaboration with co-trainers. This position is based in D.C and requires regular, weekly in-office meetings.
- Bachelor's degree required
- Experience working with youth; facilitation experience; counseling experience; and two years previous work experience desired
- Experience working one-on-one with high school and college aged students
- Excellent demonstrated skills in writing, communication, presentation and time management
- Ability to organize, manage, prioritize and complete multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to relate to and interact with high-school and college-aged participants from diverse backgrounds
- Must be enthusiastic, possess a strong work ethic, be able to work independently and as part of a team, and serve as a positive role model for Posse Scholars and staff
- Knowledge of D.C. area public high schools is a plus
- Willing and able to travel throughout year (current drivers license strongly preferred)
- Computer skills (MS Word and Excel, internet research, email, etc.)
- Demonstrated belief in Posses mission and values