Digital Media Manager
The mission of the Boston Public Health Commission (BPHC) is to protect, preserve, and promote the health and well-being of all Boston residents, particularly the most vulnerable. The BPHC envisions a thriving Boston where all residents live healthy, fulfilling lives free of racism, poverty, violence, and other systems of oppression. The BPHC sets an expectation that all staff and leadership commit, individually and as part of the BPHC team, to hold ourselves accountable to establishing a culture of antiracism and advance racial equity and justice through each of our bureaus, programs, and offices.
The Digital Media Manager will have the primary responsibility for the content of BPHC's digital and online presence, including its website and social media properties. The position will create content, develop communication strategy, and partner with and train Commission staff to promote public health messages and programs, ensure consistent messaging, and brand integrity. The position will also serve as the Communications Office's point person for all multimedia content and projects.
The Communications Office is responsible for internal and external communications for the Boston Public Health Commission. The Office works closely with the Commission's Bureaus, as well as various City departments, to amplify public health messages and BPHC programs and services.
- Develop BPHC's social communication strategies and campaigns to advance BPHC goals.
- Develop timely public health-related social media content that brings BPHC's voice to important conversations.
- Create content for and manage all BPHC social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- In collaboration with BPHC web coordinator, manage BPHC's web presence (boston.gov/bphc) and support the design of additional pages, sites, and special projects.
- Provide training and support to program staff to empower them to contribute to social media and website content for their programs and ensure regular support and coordination.
- Develop data visualization and storytelling content optimized for all platforms in partnership with the Creative Director.
- Support internal multimedia projects that foster staff engagement and positive morale.
- Work across BPHC bureaus and offices to develop organic and paid digital plans as part of larger public health communications strategies.
- Establish, monitor and report on performance metrics and recommend strategy adjustments when necessary to achieve goals.
- Collaborate closely with BPHC program staff to generate storytelling ideas and uplift BPHC work.
- Ensure compliance with brand standards and messaging across all digital channels.
- Develop and manage influencer programs and resources.
- Write or edit talking points for senior BPHC staff featured in video projects.
- In partnership with the digital team, manage the design and production of audio, photo and collaborate with BPHC Studios video projects from conception to completion.
- Create social media graphics and develop digital assets for larger communications campaigns.
- Film and/or photograph BPHC press events and functions.
- Conceive, record, and edit media in-house.
- In partnership with the digital team, support the creation and collaboration of multimedia projections from start to finish.
- Serve as staff contact and project manager for any digital advertising or video production consultants working with the Communications Office.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Working to help BPHC become an antiracist organization by meeting or exceeding the standards set by the BPHC Anti-Racism Policy.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, or other relevant field; OR equivalent work experience.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience working in digital communications, social media management, marketing, or web design. Experience working in government or public health policy a plus.
- Ability to work collaboratively and adjust to feedback.
- Experience managing multiple projects and competing priorities.
- Experience with various content management systems and social media reporting tools.
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere Pro.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with experience distilling complex policies and data into engaging, understandable content.
- Experience with visual storytelling, including shooting and editing high quality photos and videos.
- Understanding of data and experience incorporating data into communications content.
- Ability to work some evenings, weekends, and attend events across the city.
- Passionate commitment to health equity and racial/social justice issues.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about the role of public health in addressing racism, the social determinants of health, and inequities in health outcomes as well as strategies to advance racial justice and health equity.
Preferred or Plus:
- Master's degree in Public Health a plus.
- Proficiency in a language other than English is a plus.
- Experience in public health communications a plus.
City of Boston Residency Required. A Criminal Offenders Records Information request must be completed for this position. However, a record is not an automatic bar to employment but is reviewed in relation to the job applied for., Any position that requires an advanced degree will be subject to education verification, The Boston Public Health Commission is an EEO Employer and all applicants meeting the minimum requirements are eligible to apply.
$60,000 - $70,000/Annually
Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm (35 hours per week)
Expectation of some evenings and weekends, particularly during periods of high need and for staff coverage.
Hybrid schedule is subject to BPHC's temporary teleworking policy.