Transportation Engineer (Civil) (JC-354930)
Transportation Engineer (Civil)
Job Control: JC- 354930
Classification: Transportation Engineer (Civil)
Monthly Salary: $5,995.00 - $11,230.00
Apply by: 3/8/2023
All applications must be submitted through the link below:
About the Position:
Transportation Engineers perform engineering duties throughout North Region Division of Project Development and Construction. Based on annual workload, delivery commitments, and seasonal needs, the incumbent may be assigned by the Department to a variety of positions in an office or field environment. When working in Project Development, the incumbent will be under the direct supervision of a Branch Chief, a Senior Transportation Engineer. When serving as the Project Engineer, the incumbent is in charge of the engineering work necessary for the preparation of Project Study Reports, Project Reports, contract plans, specifications, and estimates for transportation improvement projects. The incumbent will act as a lead worker and assist other staff with the assigned project work. When working in Construction, the incumbent will be under the direct supervision of an Area Construction Engineer, a Senior Transportation Engineer, in a field environment during the Construction season. In either environment, the incumbent will perform various transportation engineering tasks of average difficulty accomplished through understanding and applying Caltrans standards, manuals, guidelines, policies, directives and computer software and Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) applications. Travel is required. Employee is required to have a current California driver’s license, when operating a state owned vehicle or driving another vehicle for state business. Professional Engineering License is required for Range D positions.
What You'll Do:
- Development, coordination, and review of engineering plans, specifications, estimates and reports, for highway, freeway, and transportation facility projects.
- Development of plans with CADD applications; producing and reviewing layouts, profiles, typical sections, title sheets, superelevation diagrams, drainage, construction details, grading, utilities, traffic handling, stage construction, detours, and quantity summaries.
- Provide review of environmental documents and technical studies, reports and packages produced by Caltrans functional units, local agencies, developers, permit applicants and their consultants, for compliance with design standards and engineering principles.
- Produce and review project hydraulic design analysis and studies, storm water data reports, prepare and assemble contract specifications and documents for Ready To List (RTL) submittal. Conduct utilities research, field investigation, coordination and preparation of utility conflict plans.
- Request and review plans and design input from other functional units, including Traffic, Landscape, and Structures, and incorporate plans and feedback into the project plan package.
- Coordination of safety, constructability and value analysis review meetings, review and provide comments on project plans and estimates to assess completeness and to correct errors and deficiencies and to develop or improve the final plans, specifications & estimate (PS&E) product.
- Provide CADD support as required to deliver the project to PS&E and provide training for various design software, user best practices, resolution of issues pertaining to computerized design, plotter support, file support, and computer related equipment inventory management.
- As a project engineer, the incumbent is responsible for the final preparation and review of the Plans, Specifications, and Estimates (PS&E) and the Ready to List (RTL) submittal.
*See more details on the Duty Statement located on the job posting.
For questions please contact: